BusinessObjects Board

WebI Audit log to Database setting returns to Log to File

To Anyboy who’s familiar with this one… :confused:
It’s not the first thread on this problem in the forum so please forgive me for digging it up again!

Sometimes when returning to the administrator panel you find your setting to ‘Log to Database’ has returned to ‘Log to File’
It seems to happen after the audit database has been down for backup etc. or the WebI services have been restarted

It’s also detailed in resolution entry 5125 on the support Knowledge Base, and firmly blames the connection settings to the audit database

…and as many of you have probably discovered it has little to do with the database connection, and seems to happen fairly randomly, but most often when a server is rebooted.

So, the questions are:

:?: Has anybody found the REAL cause of this behaviour
:?: Has anybody found an automated way to restore this setting

Resolution entry #8906 details the registry key entry controlling the setting:

…but changing these has little or no effect on the logging mechanism, unless you stop and restart the services - which is too much disruption to put up with on a live system.

Can anyone add anything to this really annoying issue??

:hb: <<< because this is definately how it feels!

Cheers,

philmorris :uk: (BOB member since 2002-11-12)

from shakespeare in love

It has happened to me but then I haven’t seen it again and our server has been brought down abrubtly a couple times and the db has gone down but the ‘Log to Database’ stayed put. :confused: One of the many little things in BO that you watch out for and learn to accept, wouldn’t you say?

scott copeland (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

I’ve found this quite a nuisance, and we stopped logging to database because we just couldn’t rely on it.

I surely do wish that if WebI has to stop logging to database for whatever reason – that it would automatically have some sort of “retry” cycle – that it would log to file and then when it could get back to logging to database, that it would do so!

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

It seem to be a recuring problem and we did not found a real solution, the connection change from db to a file and even some time the queries id resets to zero, corrupting the whole audit db.
We developped a solution who could help you, see for Enterprise Manager at www.ebiexperts.com, it logs the full clients login, view documents and refreshes and even can be plugged in replacment of auditor on a customized webi (Asp for the moment)

jp.golay :switzerland: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

So it seems - there are quite a few of these aren’t there!

Just to follow up on this - Monday morning I rebooted the Webi server (I might do this once a month or so, maybe) and I knew that the database was down at the time. Webi reset the audit log to file instead of database. So, it actually makes sense that Webi, since it couldn’t connect to the database, decided to log to file instead. I imagine that any other factor that might cause Webi to lose its connection to the database would produce similar results when it was rebooted

scott copeland (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Feeling a little impotent to effect any change, I’ve just added an entry to the wishlist on this subject.

https://bobj-board.org/t/15220

Edit by Anita – to see Phil’s indivual post, see: https://bobj-board.org/t/15220/102. Note to anyone interested – if you ever want to point to an individual post, rather than the whole topic, just let your mouse hover over the “reply” or “quote” buttons of the posting – the status bar of your browser will show you the posting-number “Shortcut to…&p=12345”. Just substitute “p=12345#12345” in place of “t=56789” in the URL, and you’re all set!

Let’s hope the dev’rs take some notice of our suggestions at some point!

:stuck_out_tongue: MERRY XMAS EVERYONE :stuck_out_tongue:

Just a little update on this subject - I’ve recently developed a ‘log loader’ to fill in the gaps when the setting has reverted and some information has been lost into log files.

It’s ORACLE only aat the moment I’m afraid - but if you’re interested, drop me a line and I’ll pass it along.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: