BusinessObjects Board

Web Intelligence Admin Tool

With BI 4.2 (and earlier versions) there was a utility available called the Web Intelligence Admin Tool or WebI Admin Tool. It was run by calling something similar to this:

“D:\BI\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\win64_x64\sapjvm\bin\java.exe” -jar “D:\BI\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\java\apps\WebiAdminTool\GenericContainer_AdminTool.jar”

It doesn’t appear that this utility is available in BI4.3, at least in SP2.

Has anyone read or heard anything if this tool is no longer available or if it has been moved somewhere else? I’m not having much luck finding anything on the SAP Support site.

Two links that I’ve found, no idea whether they help or not as we’re currently a full SQL BI stack house:

https://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/BOBJ/WebiAdminTool

Good luck.

Unfortunately, no. I looked at those links previously. The issue that I have found so far is that the GenericContainer_AdminTool.jar file doesn’t exist in our installation of BI4.3sp2. I was wondering what happened to it. I posted in the SCN Community forum, we’ll see if anything shows up there.

1 Like

I had a representative from SAP LABS INDIA on my SCN post that said he “believes” that this tool is not being shipped with BI4.3.x and that it “might” be due to dependencies on old technologies.

Not very definitive. :frowning_face:

Hi JohnBClark,

It is true that this is not shipped anymore with 4.3.x, but we have found a workaround/solution for this.
Reinstall a 4.2 version anywhere, and package up the entire folder of the admin tool.

You might need a few extra JAR from the old one as well, but after copy and pasting from a 4.2 to a 4.3 install we got the tool working again!

Thanks. I may try that.
I submitted a question to the Administrators of the BI Platform Support Tool. They confirmed that there are some dependencies that are no longer available in BI4.3. They are looking into including some of the functionality of the WebI Admin tool into the BI Platform Support Tool. No ETA has been provided.

Thanks @Glenn , I verified that I could do this. I took the WebiAdminTool folder from the SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\java\apps folder of a BI4.2 environment and copied it to the same folder of a BI4.3 environment and it at least starts up.

It appears that it may need more than just this as it does not appear to have full functionality. For instance, the Instance Relationships analyzer doesn’t show the proper relationships. This is disappointing to me as this was the main feature I wanted as this is the only place I have found that contains details on what Web Intelligence reports are being run on demand.

Thanks for the idea though.

I must say I kind of brute forced it… by copying everything that didn’t exist into the 4.3 folder into it…
Might have broken a few other things that I am not yet aware of, but The relational Graphs & Interactive Analysis parts work on our side.

Getting insights on the “run on demand” and the “Memory usage” is our biggest profit from this tool.
ETA’s from SAP are always hard to get :slight_smile: