BusinessObjects Board

VM Wear?

:confused: Any one using VM Wear on their Webi server? (If I am asking the question the right way :oops: )

Barry D. Beaton :us: (BOB member since 2002-07-19)

Itā€™s VMWare (like software not clothes you wear ;-)), and no, nobody that I know is running it on a server. The VM stands for Virtual Machine, and itā€™s a way to emulate on operating system on another. IMHO, anyone that runs a production webi server in that environment is asking for soooo much troubleā€¦

Iā€™ve seen it used for demonstrations and for training sessions. But thatā€™s about as far as I would want to go.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

I have used it for demonstrations. What would be the purpose of running it on one of your servers? If you have enough memory, it can be a pretty cool way of simulating a multi-server environment.

Barry, what are you trying to find out?

Steve Krandel :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

I have a system that uses an Application Server and a Web Server in production reading a Database Server using a BusObj Webi server as itĀ’s reporting portal. All four server are in what we call production mode.
Now there is an Application Server and a Web Server in development reading the same Database Server looking at development data but not BusObj Webi development server.
The development process is used for testing and possible upgrades. But I think we will need to purchase another server for the BusObj Webi development server. Why VMWare, the Application Server and a Web Server in development mode is really using VMWare.
So I was thinking, I know it surprises me too, does anyone use one BusObj Webi Server, maybe with VMWare to act as a production and development server.

Barry D. Beaton :us: (BOB member since 2002-07-19)

we are planning on setting up our web servers using VMware, but so far I havenā€™t been able to get webi 6.1a to completey work on the environment. Install goes smoothly, but I am unable to open full client reports via infoview. We arenā€™t sure if itā€™s related to VMware yet, but we canā€™t rule it out either. If it ends up being an issue with VMware Iā€™ll post back here, otherwise you can assume that itā€™s working. :slight_smile:

Jesse

Jesse Mauser :us: (BOB member since 2003-04-03)

Ever figure anything out with VMWare? I just installed Webi 61b on a test server under VMWare and ran into problems (We only use VMWare for our test environment). I put in a case with BO and they said VMWare is not currently supported!
:wah:

bmciance :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-16)

darnā€¦

I was planning on testing our VMWare servers with 6.1b sometime soon, and was hoping that would fix whatever was wrongā€¦ wishful thinking on my part.

I know that BOA uses VMWare on their consultants laptops, so it does work. I just need to figure out what the differences are between their setup and ours.
I still havenā€™t determined if our problem may be related to sp4 or not on our servers. Technically, BO only supports sp3, but I havenā€™t run into any problems on our physical boxes.

Sorry Iā€™m not more help. Let us know if you come across anything that works.

Jesse

Jesse Mauser :us: (BOB member since 2003-04-03)

Mike

I have a client deployed on VMWare servers but Iā€™m running XIR2 on these servers. My experience so far with the VMWare servers is that they work exactly the same as if you are deployed on your own box.

Recently, a series of users created a spike on the VMWare server where they felt the need to increase the number of CPUā€™s deployed to on of our servers. They process took only minutes (it was a virtual CPU after all) and just that quickly we were back up and running with the additional horse power.

My experiences have been positive with the VMWare deployment at least in regards to XIR2. I didnā€™t get a chance to try an earlier version on VMWare. At this client site they are using the VMWare model to reduce the overall inventory of servers and the numberof support staff required to support ā€œall of these boxesā€!! :mrgreen:

Mike McErlain

MikeMcErlain :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-08)

Thanks Mike. We are actually using it for our test Webi servers on version 6.5.4. It works fine. We are just starting the project to migrate to XI R2 so it is good to know that we can do the same with the new version.

Thanks!

bmciance :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-16)