BusinessObjects Board

Visitor Flags

Tonight we added something fun to the bottom of the page for BOB: a list of flags as identified by IP address. Granted there are plenty of ways for folks to get the wrong flag (proxies being the most obvious) but we’re not trying to implement security or anything serious like that. It’s just supposed to be fun.

Within ten minutes of implementing the flags there were nearly a dozen different countries represented. It just goes to show the truly global nature of BOB.

We don’t anticipate any board issues with the code as it was added. However, if the board is impacted in any way (performance being the most noticeable issue) then we will simply remove the code. Thanks, and we hope you will have fun watching the list of top flags grow!

:bob:

Bob (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

haha! i saw this one! this is cool!!!

R.A. :philippines: (BOB member since 2008-10-28)

That’s a cool feature! You always have great idea!

At the time NA guys is time to go to sleep now :wink:

Hi,

The funny thing is that EU (European Union) is treated separately. However, there are many countries that belong to EU but are counted too. Just to name few that I can see now: GB, FR, DE, NL, ES, FI, BE, IT, SE, PL, HU, AT, GR, DK etc

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

Another thing to note is, the counter is the page hits, not the number of users. I just answered a few posts and brought Germany up from 6 to 60.

That’s actually a good thing, it means this counter is not using cookies or something to keep track of browsers.

Werner Daehn :de: (BOB member since 2004-12-17)

Werner, I am not convinced it’s counting pages. When I started it last night, it showed up US right away, but the counter stayed at 1 for as long as I was testing.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

The counter for the US has remained static for my my last 10 page views. I think it’s counting sessions.

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)

So perhaps there were different folks from TechEd in Berlin logging in while Werner was posting…

Hmmmm

Looks like you win.

Werner Daehn :de: (BOB member since 2004-12-17)

The EU flag is used when the visitor is from the geographical area but cannot be isolated to a specific country. At least that’s how I interpret the notes on their site.

I can upgrade to a paid version and get state flags for the US, as well as regional flags from other countries.

That was my interpretation too. :slight_smile:

Personally, I don’t think it’s necessary. If this is just for fun then the current flags are more than OK :yesnod:

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

South Dakota showed up sometime last night. :slight_smile:

If you didn’t realize this, you can click on the collection of flags and see some more statistics. As of now, there are 180 different “countries” listed on BOB’s flag list. Fun. :sunglasses:

Dave,

After a little sabbatical 8), I came back to haunt BOB and noticed these.
Very, very nice :slight_smile:

All the Best,

Mark.

Mak 1 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-01-06)

I have noticed that - on occasion - the flags do not load, and the status bar says waiting for s07.flagcounter.com. Even when this happens, the BOB page has loaded correctly and is functional, and I go about reading / responding to posts. If the flag counter gets in the way of BOB operations, I can remove it. Has anyone noticed a problem with the counter besides me, and if so, did it impact your use of the board?

I’ve had no issues with it at all.

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)

Nor me, I have noticed the message and the lag with the load, on occasion, but just proceeded as normal :).

I like to click on the flag grid (I don’t know if any of you realize you can do this, it pulls up some interesting stats) and the latest new country was:

That is, of course, the flag of the Bahamas. I wonder if they’re staying at the Bahamas Beach Resort… :lol:

I like to know what and how those in the Yukon Territories do/use Business Objects for. :crazy_face: Probably for mining, I am thinking or maybe for keeping track of the polar bears?

Mitra Moini (BOB member since 2002-09-01)

I wish I was, probably a bargain compared to todays prices :mrgreen: .

Dave and all, countries aside, it is really quite mind blowing how many people are using the site these days, long may it continue :+1: .