BusinessObjects Board

Virtualization of current BOBJ installation.

Hi,

Can anybody help me explain about “Virtualization of current BOBJ installation”?
I believe it deals with CPU licenses, but would really appreciate the clear explanation.
Also, if anybody let me know how to go with this practically, it would be really great.
I am using BO 6.5 on unix box.
Many thanks.

alokkarn (BOB member since 2009-10-09)

A) Regarding licensing questions, please contact your SAP account representative
B) Oh Boy, you really need to upgrade, version 6.x is so outdated.

Virtualization deals with virtualizing servers, look at VMware etc. Yahoo or Google are your friend :wink:

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

Thanks Andreas, but unfortunately there is no plan for upgradation in immediate future :slight_smile:

Any more ideas please??

Moderator note:
Please do not bump your post until at least one business day has passed. I deleted your other post. Thanks, Andreas.

Hi,

I can tell you that there is a “license upgrade” required, not software or version of BO, to be able to even have a BO environment and still be within your maintenance agreement. When SAP acquired BO, that was the one thing that they changed. The new license verbiage actually says that you can now use a VM with your agreement. The old license didn’t say that you couldn’t but they do not say that you can either. I am going through this with my current client. What happens is you will talk to a SAP account rep and they will come up with a magic number that the Executives agree meet the minimum satisfaction of a purchase therefore upgrading the license. Our number is $40,000. You should talk to your SAP account rep for the full information.

Hope that helps.

:wave:

Bunnybaby79 :us: (BOB member since 2009-11-13)

Thanks Melinda. The business is not quite ready for upgrade for at least one year. I am wondering using VMware if it is possible to get something done

Hi,

I’m not sure what you mean by “get something done”, please elaborate on that. I know that if you do not have the license agreement upgrade and go onto a VM anyways, SAP will not support the VM. It will be non-compliant with the current agreement.

Thanks.

:wave:

Bunnybaby79 :us: (BOB member since 2009-11-13)

Thanks Melinda. I am also really sure by now that nothing can be done without license :slight_smile: