BusinessObjects Board

use of inlist and matches pattern in same query

I have a request from a customer to have a report that they can either enter a matches pattern or in list as an answer to a prompt. The report would be broken down by 3 different selectable entities. So they could enter either for the prompts for association, group code, or department number. Initial thought was they could enter a % where they wanted all and the in list would handle a limited list.

Ideally I would want to set the variables up in an ā€œOrā€ statement within the query. It will be a full client report but refreshable on WEBI. Issue I have been running into is that matches pattern is a mono verses the multi I need for the in list.

mmurray (BOB member since 2003-01-13)

Hi Mike,

Take a look at this post for starters

irish_stan :ireland: (BOB member since 2003-05-13)

The issue with using the LOV is there could be hundreds of them. An example of what they are trying to do is.

Enter Group number:

If the wanted all groups in Iowa and groups were all prefixed by the state abbreviation followed by a number they could enter IA as a pattern to match and would get all IAxxxx groups back.

If there was a group in every county that would return 99 rows. But if they only wanted two adjacent counties they would enter IA1234;IA1256. If they wanted all groups they could enter %.

Then this type of logic would continue with the other criteria

mmurray (BOB member since 2003-01-13)

Youā€™re on the right path. The problem is that BO doesnā€™t do optional prompts.

The limit of inlist and wildcard is not a BO one, itā€™s a SQL one.

Steve Krandel :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

I also have a case where I want to allow the user to enter either
single value, multiple values, partial value (e.g, CH%) or % for all.

Steve, I am not sure I understand your post. Are you saying that this is not possible to do?

ciodice :us: (BOB member since 2005-04-05)

What Iā€™m saying is that you canā€™t have a sql statement that accepts a wilcard within with an IN operator.

You need to try to generate something like:

Where
table.column in @prompt(ā€¦,multi, free) OR
table.column like @prompt(ā€¦,mono, free) OR
ā€˜ALLā€™ in @prompt(ā€¦,multi, free) OR

The question is this: can you use the same prompt with different parameters? I donā€™t have time to check this out right now. Try it and let us know.

Steve Krandel :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

I wasnā€™t able to do it.
I was able to get a single value, pattern matching and % for all. However, when I selected multiple values I received the following error:

Connection or SQL Sentence Error DA0005

any ideas anyone?

What are the details of the error? When I see that error, I get a ā€œdetailsā€ button, and when I click on the Details, a more descriptive message appears.

KSG :us: (BOB member since 2002-07-17)

Here are the details:

Exception: DBD, ORA-00907: missing right parenthesis
State: N/A

You may want to post the SQL you used. This sounds like a syntax issue.

KSG :us: (BOB member since 2002-07-17)