BusinessObjects Board

Universe on Information Steward 4.0

Has anyone attempted to write a universe over Information Steward 4.0?

Unable to locate a data model (ERD) in the SAP doco.

From a Data Insight perspective, I am interested in reporting on how many rules exist, what thresholds are (and history), and failed results.

From a Metadata Management perspective, I am interested in reporting on custom attributes (the search in MM does not search across all instances of custom attributes), relationships between technical and business metadata (Metapedia terms).

Has anyone attempted to write a universe over the database schemas (preferably Oracle) for custom reporting? Or have a model of how the tables relate to each other?

charlatan :australia: (BOB member since 2006-02-13)

A year later, and this post is relevant to me. :slight_smile:

I was given a universe provided by SAP. You can probably find the document by searching SAP for “Using Metadata Management Metapedia Glossary with WebI.” However, it’s not very useful. It shows only relationships between objects and reports, and between objects and business terms. I am being asked to extend this universe, or create something new using the same connection. However, there are thousands of tables within the schema, and since I’m not an Information Steward expert it’s a bit difficult for me to figure out where to start.

If anyone has done some work in this area, I would be interested in sharing notes.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

I contacted sap about this and from IS 4.2 sp2 there appears to be a universe that will be provided. I could not wait so I spent about 2 weeks and figured a lot of it out. There are some things though that I still am looking for, like relationships between some technical objects that appear in MM.

There are a number of custom views that could be a good start. Look at mmb, mmv and mmrv views. The limited info in the dodo may help but if you can look at data while in the application then you can find a lot intuitively.

I have been focusing on the “MM” views, but there are still hundreds and hundreds of them. :slight_smile: Would you be able to list a few of the specific ones you have found useful?

Here are a number of relationships to report on universes and reports:

MMB_UNIVERSE MMB_RELATIONSHIP
MMB_UNIVERSE MMB_UNIVERSE_TYPE
MMB_UNIVERSE MMB_REPORT
MMB_REPORT MMB_REPORT_FIELD
MMB_REPORT MMB_VARIABLE
MMB_REPORT MMB_QUERY
MMB_UNIVERSE_CLASS MMB_UNIVERSE
MMB_UNIVERSE_CLASS MMB_UNIVERSE_OBJECT
MMB_UNIVERSE_CLASS MMB_UNIVERSE_FILTER
MMB_UNIVERSE_OBJECT MMB_UNIVERSE_AGGREGATE_TYPE
MMB_UNIVERSE_OBJECT_TYPE MMB_UNIVERSE_OBJECT
MMB_DATA_TYPE MMB_UNIVERSE_OBJECT
MMB_UNIVERSE_OBJECT MMB_RELATIONSHIP
MMB_RELATIONSHIP MMB_DATA_GROUP
MMB_UNIVERSE MMB_QUERY_UNIVERSE
MMB_QUERY_UNIVERSE MMB_QUERY_TYPE
MMB_QUERY_UNIVERSE MMB_QUERY_CARDINALITY_TYPE
MMB_QUERY_UNIVERSE MMB_QUERY_OUTER_JOIN_TYPE
MMB_UNIVERSE MMRV_UNIVERSE_DERIVED_TABLE
MMB_UNIVERSE MMRV_UNIVERSE_DERIVED_TABLE

Hope they are useful.

I have created a Universe over IS 4.0. You can PM me for further details

BoDuDe :zimbabwe: (BOB member since 2005-12-19)

I will send you an email when I get to the office Monday, thanks.

I have some documentation from Business Objects on some data model diagrams. They are from XIR2 but they appear to still be relevant. I’m not sure that I can share them though.

I have a universe also that I was building. It uses MMD and MMRV views.

It’s not very relevant to me right now as we just upgraded to BI4.1 and I’m still trying to get the Metadata Management portion of Information Steward up and running.

I found an available universe for Metadata Manager but it is from XI3.1. It might be a good place to start. It can be downloaded from SAP KBA 1596373 - Where can I find the Metadata Management.

I keep meaning to post here but haven’t had time to. Basically what I have found so far is the database behind Information Steward is very flexible and as a result quite complex. There are tables that are used for nothing other than to store the information about relationships between other tables. To put anything together, you need a “source” and “destination” table ID, and they need to be in the right order. There are also recursive relationships (parent to child records, meaning a category can have a parent category) that are easy to deal with in Oracle (via the CONNECT BY structure) but can be more difficult on other platforms.

We’re building some scorecards now, but performance is a challenge.

I am interested in creating dashboards on Information Steward using either base tables/views or Universes.
My questions are two:

1. How to create universes to show profiling results from Information Steward

2. If I could create queries to just tables/views, which ones do I use? There are so many MMB and MMV views and tables, it’s hard to know which ones. :hb:

monicae (BOB member since 2018-12-31)

This is the best Query so far. Still no Binding fields showing up.

select distinct
t5.technical_name as Project_name
,t1.business_name as Rule_name
,t2.value as Quality_dimension
,t4.technical_name as Table_name
,t1.effective_dt as Rule_created_Date
,t6.business_name as Domain_name
,t7.*
from MMD_Rule t1
join MMD_Custom_Field_Value t2 on t1.rule_id = t2.[object_id] and t2.is_current_version = ‘Y’
join MMD_Relationship t3 on t1.rule_id = t3.[object_id] and user_flag1 is null and t3.relationship_subtype_cd in ( ‘PRRB’ ) and t3.is_current_version = ‘Y’
join MMD_Data_Group t5 on t5.data_group_id = t3.container_id and t5.is_current_version = ‘Y’
join MMD_Data_Group t4 on t4.data_group_id = t3.related_object_id and t4.is_current_version = ‘Y’
left join MMD_Key_Data_Domain t6 on t6.key_data_domain_id = t3.[object_id] and t6.configuration_id = t3.configuration_id
left join MMD_Key_Data_Domain_Score t7 on t6.key_data_domain_id= t7.key_data_domain_id
where t1.is_current_version = ‘Y’

Thanks,

BW

acsbillw :us: (BOB member since 2005-12-19)