BusinessObjects Board

Universe meta data report

Hi Folks.

I wish that I could visit this site more often as everyone is most helpful. Work tends to get my time.

Anyway,

I didn’t know what forum to put this in. I have a universe in production that uses a couple date fields. One is a conversion of the other. Let’s make up some dates. Assume that I am taking my car to a garage and they have a database in which they store the date that I dropped off my car. This date is stored as GMT. The IT folks, like myself, are in EST. Up until now, I had to maintain two data objects, the GMT version and the EST version with a conversion function applied. I hated having to do this because of the performance hit but, since I had no say with the DBAs, I had to live with it. Well, the good news is that they are going to provide a new database field that has EST in addition to the GMT field one so I want to remove the GMT object from the universe since all reporting is done by people that are in EST.

So, sorry for the long exposition, here is the problem. While I want to remove the field for ease of universe management, I know that it will break any reports out there that use the soon to be deleted field in them. Is there an admin report that I can run to know what reports are using what objects? Having that, I could send the report owners a mail saying that you have to fix the report before I delete the objects so there is no interruption for them.

Thank you in advance!

Michael.

M.Ford :us: (BOB member since 2011-02-09)

Michael,

Rather than delete the old (GMT) object and create a new EST object, why not just redefine the GMT to now point to your EST column. You can even rename it to whatever you want, just don’t delete it and all your reports should be fine.

jwaterbury :us: (BOB member since 2007-09-21)

The unfortunate thing about that is that I would have two fields, then, give the same information. It would be confusing for someone. Also, another person recommended just adding the new field and hiding the old one but I still don’t want to have a bunch of defunct objects. There are currently two objects for the TZ in the Universe already. I was hoping to go to one without too much pain.

Sorry Michael, I had to go back and reread your post a couple of times to get at what you’re really doing. Yeah, just disregard my post (no help there…)

NP. I read the post before the intial posting a couple times and it made sense in my head but my head a crazy place so it follows that the post might have been a bit crazy. the gist is this:

Is there a management report that lists the reports and the objects they use for a given Universe.

There’s nothing built into B.O. but you might want to check out this link: WID Scanner

The tool is somewhat finniky but I think it may be what you’re looking for.

[quote:3dea1f4c6f=“M.Ford”]NP. I read the post before the intial posting a couple times and it made sense in my head but my head a crazy place so it follows that the post might have been a bit crazy. the gist is this:

Is there a management report that lists the reports and the objects they use for a given Universe.
[/quote]
If you have Metadata Manager, you can get all the information on reports and objects that are associating to a certain universe. Or if you have XI 3.1, you can simply go to CMC to check the relationship and find out the reports that are associating to a certain universe.

substring :us: (BOB member since 2004-01-16)

I will ask about the metadata manager. I got the impression that the WID tool is reading the WID file directly. I do have access to them. It is as simple as just grepping the file for something? I might be able to write a shell script for that.