BusinessObjects Board

Unhandled Exception Error C000005 - with a twist

I’m getting this error when I open a report. I am very familiar with this error and have seen it in various guises in many different situations. However this one has me stumped.

The error occurs before the report even appears. It does not reference any dlls as these errors normally do. I have tried the many different resolutions to this problem with no joy. This is now an intellectual exercise only as the report has been recreated - based upon the SQL in the report that I could see when viewed using notepad.

Does anyone have any radical ideas or suggestions?

P.S. here is a thread I wrote a while back with loads of resolutions…

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Is the report set to refresh when it is openned?

Karen Burton :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-22)

Afraid not!

Sounds like it got corrupted somewhere along the way… :blue:

Eileen King :us: (BOB member since 2002-07-10)

Yeah I tend to agree - doesn’t give the usual corruption message though - it must be really bad :cry:

We had a problem like this when we upgraded from 5.1.1 to 5.1.4 that we coudn’t figure out. It only was with 1 report. We submitted a case to tech support and they came back with it being a bug. Below is the info on the bug, not sure if this relates to your problem or not. Hope it helps.

Bug ID 1058340  Symptom Regression  
Functional Area Report  Created On 22-Aug-2002  
Family None  
Product BusinessObjects  5.1  English  

Bug Description
Subject report created in BO 5.1.1 open with BO 5.1.4 gets unhandled exception error  
Description Opening customer's report "WS Cls Sls by Store YTD Div 10.rep" get unhandled exception error with certain versions of BO: 
BO 5.1.3 OK 
BO 5.1.4 error 
BO 5.1.5 error 
Other testing: 
1. Open the report in BO 5.1.3 go to Slice and Dice, click Reset button, click Apply, click OK, 
2. Save the report 
3. Now the report opens in BO 5.1.4 and 5.1.5 without error. 

Bug Environment
Client OS WINDOWS NT  2000  Browser (Unspecified)  
Server OS Not Relevant  Web Server (Unspecified)  
Virtual Machine (Unspecified)  
Database MS SQL SERVER  ODBC (Unspecified)  
Gateway (Unspecified)  Middleware MS OLE DB  
Application (Unspecified)  Cluster Homogeneous  
Authent. Mode (Unspecified)  Comm. Mode (Unspecified)  

Pipe Information
No Information

Stacy Woodring (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Interesting - I know it doesn’t open in 5.1.2 or 5.1.5 or 5.1.6. I shall do a 5.1.3 install and get back to you - thanks very much :lol:

And by the way BO has not committed to when it will be fixed!

Stacy Woodring (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

5.1.3 also suffers the blue bug…never mind :wink:

Hi Nick,

Have you discovered anything new in regard to this problem?

I’ve been hitting this error in both ZABO and FC for the past week on several (11 of 13) reports I updated six weeks ago. All of the reports contain a macro that does not execute automatically. The 11 reports that error do so with the “Unhandled Exception” after the Enable/Disable Macro prompt and before the report opens. :frowning:

Thinking that the reports may have been corrupted somehow, I opened one of them on a co-worker’s PC thru a shared C: drive over our LAN. From my co-worker’s machine, I was able to open the very report that was producing the “Unhandled Exception” error on my PC. :confused:

My next step will be to uninstall and re-install BO. :?

Sandy
Win2000, BO 5.1.4, Oracle 8.1

sreds :us: (BOB member since 2002-10-25)

I’m afraid I discovered nothing new as the report was recreated from scratch. I guess you already saw this but just check to see if any of these resolutions help.

Oh and how about purging the data on the machine that works then opening on the machine where it wasn’t…