BusinessObjects Board

UDT connection error when using tnsnames.ora

Hi. So a little background here. We have several connections utilizing the tnsnames.ora. This is to have little maintenance on them in case the oracle host changes, we only have to change the entry on the tnsnames.ora file. This was working fine until recently.

Its kind of weird since the error “Account Locked” is only appearing when testing the connection via UDT. If we refresh a report (with a universe utilizing said connection), it refreshes fine. If we change the service from the tnsname entry to the full connection string, it tests fine. tnsping to the said oracle service also tests properly so we now that the tns entry is correct.

I’ve already tried restarting the connection server to see if it would resolve the issue, but no go.

Any ideas?

When you are testing the connection in the UDT, are you using the same account to connect to the database as when the report is run? Sounds to me like you may have two different accounts in use here.

yep. same credentials.

another weird thing. connection tested successfully on udt on our PROD boxes. error happens on our QA boxes, personal machines and one of our terminal servers. all have the same tnsnames.ora file.

another note, on our QA Infoview, reports utilizing the connection are all refreshing fine.

Its just when using the tnsnames.ora file entry. If i change it to the full connection string (the one listed on the tnsnames.ora), its testing fine. This poses a problem for our universe developer as he cant do any development due to this connection issue. Sure he can login to our production box and launch UDT from there, but this is just a workaround and really does solve the issue.

I’m tearing my hair out on this as it was working before and there arent any changes on our setup.

What version of UDT?

Do all the machines have the same Oracle client installed?

Any limits on the account in regards to # of simultaneous logins?