BusinessObjects Board

transform the long description fields ( text data types) to

Hi,

We are planning to migrate the data from Maximo system to S/4 HANA. we are using SAP Data services with MS SQL server staging.

We have one table called long description with text field. That field contains length of more than 30000+ characters for one field. But if I want to copy varchar or nvarchar data type I can store maximum 8000 characters. As data type is text data type so in data services it will be long. I cannot apply string functions to break the string into multiple lines with 8000 characters.

How can I break the text/long data type with multiple 8000 length varchar lines.

We have one more issues . We have data in the text field with HTML tags. I need to move the only text data without HTML tags.

If anyone face such scenario , please guide me how to proceed.

Thanks & Regards,

Venkata Ramana Paidi

Ramana :india: (BOB member since 2009-04-30)

One way I handle LONG data types is to place a SQL transform to start the Dataflow. Within the SQL transform I use functions native to the database to get X number of bytes/characters from the text, and use the CAST() function to specify the exact data type I want. In my case it would be a VARCHAR2(4000) since that’s the limit of what Oracle 11g source database allows.

By converting from a long to a smaller data type you have access to all the normal string functions and DS doesn’t force the rows per commit to 1, which can be a performance killer.

eganjp :us: (BOB member since 2007-09-12)