BusinessObjects Board

Tomcat Configuration to Host Two Business Objects Environments

I am starting to work on our upgrade from BI4.2sp8 to BI4.3sp2.

One of the things that I would like to configure differently is to have the web front end of our Stage and Qual environments hosted on the same set of Tomcat servers. I will be using the default Tomcat install that is part of the BI4.3sp2 installation file.

I understand the part about the deploying the war files from the Business Objects server. What I don’t know is how to configure the Tomcat to host the files for two different environments.

From my minimal understanding of Tomcat, I would need to deploy the files from the Business Objects servers to separate directories on the Tomcat server.

1. How can I make sure that the urls that are used are pointing to the correct directory on the Tomcat server?
  2. Should I run two separate instances of Tomcat, one for each “site”?
    If I install the separate instances to different directories, that could be the answer to question 1.
  3. Is there anything else I am missing or don’t know to ask?

Sorry if this seems to ramble, I am doing somewhat of a brain dump here.

I don’t know how you really can host 2 applications. The question is if you need to.

The SAP BI applications have the options to show the user the system that they are logging on to, this gives the user the option to enter the Stage or Qual environment system name.

If you really want to deploy then apps multiple times, then maybe this can point you in the correct direction: Hosting Multiple Domains In Tomcat | Learn [Solve IT]

1 Like

It’s not necessarily that I "need " to host the web front end on the same web server, as much as I want to move the web front end off of our Stage servers (which also host the applications for Business Objects) to remove that processing load from those servers. We have a separate set of web servers for our Qual environment so it just makes sense if the Stage web front end can be run on the same set of servers with the Qual web front end.

This might, and it may be a really big might, make things easier when I get around to putting Apache in front of Tomcat.