BusinessObjects Board

Text Analysis 3.0

Hi !

I would like to use Text Analysis but I can’t find how to install the product.
I have download the Text Analysis SDK provided by BO but I can just install ThingFinder and I can’t find the Text Services Platform.

Can anyone help me with that ?

Thanks,

Naw

Naw (BOB member since 2010-03-09)

Hello,

Are you wanting to only use the SDK or the entire application? As of 3.0, there are no longer components (such as SDX for API use), they are all integrated together.

Chris

ChrisInTX :us: (BOB member since 2010-03-24)

If anyone can reply with instructions I would also highly appreciate it (where and what to get).

I intend to install the whole application on my home desktop to explore with it taking advantage of the free trail BO offers.

xRei (BOB member since 2010-03-10)

You can get the documentation from help.sap.com for free. As for the downloads, if you have access to the SAP Support Portal they are on their for download. Otherwise you’ll need to get with Sales/Contact SAP to get them.

I didnt think they had a trial version of TA but I would be mistaken. Also, TA is STRICTLY a text mining engine so you’ll need some reporting layer (BOE for example) or another mechanism to actually use the data produced.

As for installing, it must be to a Windows machine (there is support for Linux/Unix but its been my experience that Windows is where its at). There are 4 .exe installers for 1) Text Services Administrator 2) Text Service Platform 3) Processing Manager 4) and Annotation Manager (if using 3.0 and NOT 3.0SP2). There are also seperate installers for ThingFinder Workbench (entity extraction) and Categorizer Workbench (categorization). All you need to do to install is run the exes.

Processing Manager installs an internal MySQL DB which you can NOT modify (ie tell it not to install) but you also dont have to do anything with it. The Annotation Manager, however, sets up an Oracle Express DB which you do have the option of opting-out of if you have your own DB already. If you go the latter route with your own DB, you’ll need to modify a few config files to point to the right database.

TA 3.0 SP2 includes the Voice of the Member Solution Kit (not to be confused with the ill-fated Extraction Packs) and only supports SQL Server as the output database. The VoC Kit includes sentiment analysis on extracted entities and not Categorization (this was a big deal for us).

ChrisInTX :us: (BOB member since 2010-03-24)