BusinessObjects Board

Temp Directory Space issue

Hi,

We’re having a space issue on our WEBI server TEMP folder, specifically the WEBI processing server TEMP folder. We have around 3 GIG remaining on a 40 GIG drive, and I can’t figure out how to safely clear the TEMP files, or why the WEBI server isn’t clearing out old files on it’s own. When I looked at some of the directories under the TEMP/STORAGE folder a lot of them are from back in the beginning of the year. We actually ran out of space on the drive but I was able to delete around 2 GIG of install files that weren’t being used.

We’re currently on XI 3.0, Windows Server 2003. If anyone has any ideas that would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Kevin

kvangor :us: (BOB member since 2003-03-20)

Can this post be moved to the XI Server category? I apologize for posting in the wrong location :oops:

Done, thanks for mentioning it :wink:

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

You can always report a post using the proper icon, found on the lower right-hand corner of any post.

This way, we can serve you better, though we don’t read this topic. :wink:

Jansi :india: (BOB member since 2008-05-12)

Thank you!!!

I have 2 suggestions:

1. I would recommend you open a ticket with Business Objects SAP to remove files from TEMP. I would not want to touch Enterprise directory structure based on suggestions from esteemed members at Bob(no disrespect and I really love the forum and all that) simply because if something goes wrong even SAP-BO wont be able to help you.

2. Try looking up a download utility that basically gives you the name of all files, location of the file, size, universe it was built from etc. It is available from BOB Download section at WID Scanner

Run this utility to see which are your large space hogs, and then check with user(s) if you can clean some of them. I have used this utility with some excellent results in the past.

Best of luck!

BO_TN (BOB member since 2008-07-30)

Thanks for your reply!

I did open a case with SAP and they suggested deleting all the TEMP files which is why I posted on BOB :smiley: I am very weary about deleting anything and I didn’t want to remove 30 GIG of files without consulting the BOB forum first.

By the way these are not FRS Input/Output repository files.

Does this utility work with XI 3.0 running on a Tomcat server?

Kevin

Sure does. I have been using it in my current project. I had to modify it a bit(don’t even remember what I changed) but if you dont have much luck with the link I sent you, drop me a note and I shall email you my version.

Its a Deski report.

xx

Thank you very much!

I’m getting a file not found error when trying to run the macro. Can you help?

Kevin

Here is what I do Kevin:

1. Copy the file on the BO server (not the local machine).
  2. Open the Deski Report and kick on the macro.
  3. All the details are self-explanatory. The two important ones being Filestore path (for us - > E:\Program Files\Business Objects\BusinessObjects Enterprise 12.0\FileStore) and where you want the result to land(I give c:/)

Let me know if that works.

Thank you,

Is it safe to install the GREP command to the WEBI server?

And, does this utility work on the TEMP file directory?

I appreciate your assistance!!

Kevin

What’s really confusing me is this temp directory. I set the FRS to the D: drive in order to have more disk space. I can see in my WEBI server settings where that location is E:\XI3 Filestore\FileStore. What I can’t figure out is where I set my TEMP file directory to E:\XI3 Temp Files. This is the directory that has close to 30 GIG. It’s not clearing out automatically even though the cache size is set to 1 GIG.

Sorry couldnt back to you earlier.

This utility does not work on Temp directory. It works only on the Filestore. The utility will help you look at large reports and clean up unused ones.

I am quite amazed as to why you have such a large Temp directory myself.

Believe me, I’m stumped as to why :frowning:

I was hoping for some possible causes or at least a good/safe way to clear some of the temp files out to free up some space.

Thank you very much for your help!

Hello Kevin,

I am looking for a utitlity that does this for us as well and we are using tomcat. Would you by chance still have a copy with the changes you made?

Thank you,
Jen

JenObrien (BOB member since 2008-07-11)