BusinessObjects Board

Switching repository ODBC connectivity

Hi, I’m relatively new to BO and hope you can help with this issue.

We have BO 5.1.9 installed on DB2, using Neon Shadow as the ODBC for the repository. We are in the process of completely removing Neon Shadow from our estate and replacing with IBM DB2 Connect. This obviously means having to completely reconfigure BO. From reading the manuals and looking through this board, I believe I need to use the following process:

1. Create new DB2 Connect DSNs on users PCs
  2. Create new Connections for DB2C DSNs in Supervisor
  3. Change Universes to use new DB2C Connections in Supervisor
  4. Change Domains to use new DB2C Connections in Supervisor
  5. Run Safe Recovery to redefine DB2C Security Connection
  6. Recreate new BOMAIN.KEY file
  7. Distribute new BOMAIN.KEY file

Please let me know whether I’ve got this right.

Thanks in advance.

redrob600 (BOB member since 2012-06-07)

Implied in that is your changeover, right? You’ll have to shut down the system, backup your repository, export it to your new database while it’s down. You need to get a good snapshot of security, users, etc.

I would make sure you can’t get into the old domain some how, maybe change the password to “break” the old bomain.key.

I’m a little rusty in older BO, but we did that a few times - moving from Oracle server 1 to server 2, etc. Safe recovery generates your new bomain key, right? I have to say that aloud to convince myself.

Once you do that, you immediately go into supervisor and update your domains to use the new database (domain and document), then update the universe connections. Distribute your keys after that, and again, make sure your old key doesn’t work to avoid confusion.

Hope that helps you a little,
Brent

bdouglas :switzerland: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

Thanks Brent.

It’s actually a little simpler for us, in that we’re not moving the repository, only changing the connectivity software. The repository will stay were it is on the existing DB2 server.

Cheers

redrob600 (BOB member since 2012-06-07)

I see that now, sorry - that really does simplify things, at least the part about synchronizing data.

I think the rest stands (after updating connectivity) - safe recovery, created key, change your domain connections, update universe, share key. As long as your users / servers have the same connections to the database, you should be good.

You may have to remove the old bomain.lsi files when you share the new key, sort of forget, but I think that can be an issue. May want to find a guinea pig for that test.

Good luck!
B

bdouglas :switzerland: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)