BusinessObjects Board

Suggestion notification mail

As it is today, when someone responds to a post and you ask to be notified, you get a message along the lines of :

"Hello pderop,

You are receiving this email because you are watching the topic, “Hot to pick the maximum value from a given set of column ?” at BOB: Business Objects Board. This topic has received a reply since your last visit. You can use the following link to view the replies made, no more notifications will be sent until you visit the topic.
"

This is the case on many forums and Facebook, Twitter and Youtube have shown us that there is a MUCH BETTER way to do this and actually include the message.

This way, I don’t have to have access to the site to already prepare my answer and post it, when I do have access to the site.

This way, I know, the response is “Thank you” and I don’t have to bother going to the site to respond immediately, it can wait to go write “you’re welcome”

This way, when I post a question, and I get a message, I don’t have to go to the site, to find out that the answer posted was :“I have this problem too”

Cheers,

Peter

pderop (BOB member since 2010-10-27)

:+1:

Most other fora I belong to include the message on the email.

And I think virtually all the members here would be in agreement with this suggestion. It would be especially useful if you receive emails when you are out and about with a very slow internet connection.

SandiR :uk: (BOB member since 2004-12-20)

Moderator note:
I am going to move this from General Discussion to About BOB.

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

I like this idea. 8)

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)

Technically it can be done, although the formatting of quotes and coding has to be addressed in some fashion. However, keep in mind that you only get notified of the first response. Until you come to the site, log in, and read the post, you won’t get further notifications. That means that if you get an email that says “I have this problem too” and you opt not to visit the topic right then since there is no perceived value, even if the very next post comes in two seconds later and contains a complete answer you won’t get anything until you come back to the site to reset your “view” status.

Does that make sense?

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)