BusinessObjects Board

Suggestion: Merge the Webi forums

Is it time to merge the two Webi forums? There’s very little activity in the Webi 6 forums and generally we have to ask people what version they’re on anyway (XIr2, XI3, BO4.x). I 've seen some stray posts in Webi 6 from people on 4.1SP6 recently so it might be confusing for them.

Just a thought :slight_smile:

Funny, I was thinking the same thing the other day. I think that is a good idea.

joepeters :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

Good idea. It would have to be done manual a page at a time…167 pages.

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

I would keep them separate, since the old version, 6.x, is so different than the new version.

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)

It would not have to be manual. I would go into the database and reset the forum ID for all posts from one forum to the other. It’s relatively simple to do. If we could rely on folks to enter a version “tag” when creating a new topic, that would separate the versions out.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Sure. I wasn’t expecting you to be about though :blue:

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

I would also like to have the subforums separate, for the same reason as Michael already mentioned above.

Maybe ‘WebIntelligence XI’ could be renamed to e.g. ‘WebIntelligence XI, 4.x’ that better denotes the fact that the BI 4.x versions are out there and used by probably most of us and we don’t live in the XI world only.

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

How many people use Webi 6 these days though?

There are more posts in Webi 6 on SP6 for XI 3 and SP6 for BO4 than for genuine Webi 6 these days.

I doubt many people use Webi 6 any more. However, Webi 6, and Webi XI/4.x are so different, I can’t see any reason to merge them. Sure, the Webi 6 forum doesn’t get too many posts any more, but that’s no reason to merge them.

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)

Yet we’ve got a combined IDT and UDT forum, which are considerably different. and both active at the same time.

… and if people use the “topic tag” it becomes extremely simple to limit the topics to only the product of interest. The Semantic Layer forum was a bit of a test case for that, actually.

If we merge the Webi forums (6.x + XI) together, I would pre-set the topic tag to the appropriate version. Most of the 6.x traffic is going to be extremely old, which would mean those posts won’t appear in the initial pages of content.

I’m not really suggesting one solution is better than the other, just outlining the technical implementation.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Out of interest, how many of the 2016 posts in the 6.x forum do you believe are actually for 6.x?

More and more positing in Webi 6 forum because there isn’t a Webi BO4 forum. Could some renaming be done please?

The WebI 6 forum has now been locked and the Web Intelligence XI forum renamed as simply Web Intelligence…you can tag your post with BI4 if relevant.

Bob Junior :uk: (BOB member since 2005-04-23)