BusinessObjects Board

smtp email notification error

getting below error when job is done, its to send email notification when done (smtp_to function)

getting it randomly, sometimes it works and sometimes not.

Failed to communicate with SMTP server on command. Try to run it manually to see the actual error.

not sure whr the problem is ?

IS this a server issue ? as its working in other env’s only not working in one env

n78882 :us: (BOB member since 2010-09-17)

We recently started experiencing the same problem. Did you ever figure your out?

pmslic (BOB member since 2010-06-24)

Your SMTP server is unreachable at that point in time.

nhohman (BOB member since 2008-11-19)

Recently I am passing for this exactly problem, somebody knows which and the problem? e as to decide?

macguerra :brazil: (BOB member since 2009-09-08)

Check with your email admin. I had one client that decided the account we were using wasn’t secure so they deleted it.

eganjp :us: (BOB member since 2007-09-12)

Yeah … we arre getting it too … The server guy says that it not a securty thing. No idea how to attack this. I’ll post when I find something.

jamiethedba (BOB member since 2008-02-20)

Have you tried to run send mail from the BODS server using command prompt. It may be the port 25 is blocked…

amuh10 :uk: (BOB member since 2012-04-11)

Hi, we are also getting this.

It happened occassionally on our old DS3.2 system.

We recently did an upgrade and are now running on DS4x (version 14.2.3.549) on new db and app servers (but same email server), and are still getting the occassional message.

I can only surmise that the connection between our app server and the email server is momentarily glitched at the instant the email is being sent, since we notice errors (much less frequently) between the app and db servers for jobs.

It will be great to hear if someone finds a cure for this one though!

Cheers,

Darryl

dgoveas :canada: (BOB member since 2009-09-10)

The smtp mailer seems really sensitive, and there’s no queuing ability.

We got around this by installing (on the local Windows BODI job server) the IIS SMTP services. We set SMTP to forward to our corporate SMTP server, and BODI sends to the local SMTP server. That way things will queue up if there is any kind of problem, rather than the job erroring out.

dnewton :us: (BOB member since 2004-01-30)

Hi, everyone. Old thread, I know, but we’ve been experiencing a similar problem with smtp_to and I think we found another workaround, so I thought I’d post our experience in case anyone new finds this thread and would be helped by it. We are running BODS 4.2 SP6 on Windows IIS, with the Exchange email server.

Our problem was slightly different. The smtp_to call would sporadically return null (which is not even a documented return value), and set the job status to failed. However, the email message DID go through, and no exception was raised, so the job continued normally. The only real problem was that the console job log showed the red X, which was annoying because it distracted from browsing for other jobs with real errors. We tried putting the statement in a try/catch block, but the handler is not called.

Our Exchange administrator did not like the solution proposed in this thread, because he said it would require changes to firewall rules. Instead, he created a new “connection point” on a different server that only we would use, and we changed our job server to use it, in the Data Services Server Manager. That was 5 days ago, and since then, the problem has not re-occurred. Prior to that, we were getting it at least a half dozen times a day, and lately it had skyrocketed to several dozen! (We do a lot of emailing to notify about job starts, completions, and errors.) The administrator said it must have been resource contention on the original connection point that is used by a lot of other processes.

Hope this helps someone.

JohnBrooking (BOB member since 2009-12-22)