BusinessObjects Board

Slow queries on SAN (Storage Area Network)

Since moving from local storage to SAN storage our queries are requiring 2-10 times more time to return data. Does anyone have any advice/experience with this? Recommendations? Why is the SAN slower? We are using Oracle/Lawson tables/Unix environment. :?

KennethHammond (BOB member since 2004-11-30)

I should also state that Oracle was upgraded to 9.2.0.7 when we moved to the SAN.

KennethHammond (BOB member since 2004-11-30)

Kenneth, I do not know about SAN storage. I’m guessing that you are using it on your WebI server?

Have you been able to isolate how long the queries run without WebI in the picture, that is, by submitted the SQL via another reporting tool? Is it possible that your query performance is different due to the upgrade to Oracle? (Perhaps Oracle 9.2.0.7 is using a different execution plan that is slower?) I think you first need to figure out whether the change is due to a change you made to the WebI server versus the change you made to the database.

Finally, what version of BusinessObjects/WebI are you using?

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

Hi KennethHammond,

Can you see the degraded performance of the queries when you run them from Toad (SQL*Plus, SQL Navigator, or any other query tool)?

What your Oracle DBA says about the database performance? Is it as it was before the migration to SAN?

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)