BusinessObjects Board

Sessions Spawning for secEnterprise:Administrator

In the Sessions screen on the CMC I am seeing secEnterprise:Administrator spawning sessions by the second. we have 125 concurrent licenses and this is using all of them if we do not end the sessions for this user profile on both servers in the cluster

We have restarted sia and TomCat on both cluster servers. We have tried rebooting both servers only for the process to start over and spawn more sessions.

SAP Support has been contacted and they have provided no resolution. This is on a Production server cluster.

My guess is that you have some external process that is logging in to Business Objects that there may be some problem with. I don’t know of anything internal to Business Objects that would cause this type of logins but I have seen this type of scenario with external processes. You will just need to track them down.

How do I track them down? Is there anything in CMC that would allow me to see where the connection is coming from? It shows Logon without Client ID

In the server.xml for Tomcat, there is a section at the end that will log the IP address of all the logons.

Open server.xml, search for this section:

<!-- Access log processes all example.
         Documentation at: /docs/config/valve.html
         Note: The pattern used is equivalent to using pattern="common" -->
  <!-- <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve" directory="logs"
           prefix="localhost_access_log" suffix=".txt"
           pattern="%h %l %u %t &quot;%r&quot; %s %b" /> -->

Uncomment the last part that starts with <Valve className=.
Restart your Tomcat and it will generate log files in your Tomcat log directory that will contain the IP address. Unfortunately, the log doesn’t contain the user ID (Although this may just be a configuration issue that could be modified. The logins for your Administrator might come from the same IP address that will help it to stand out though.

Nothing is going into the log file in Production. I tested in non Production and we got entries but Production does nothing even when I log into the CMC with my credentials.

You might be able to get some information out of the Audit database but it may depend on what you are auditing. I can’t look anything else up right now due to my own work. Sorry.

You could always change the password for the Administrator user and see what breaks. :fire_engine: :ambulance:
Sometimes drastic things require drastic action.

1 Like

Thank you JohnBClark for all your help. We are still having issues. I will keep looking and update here if I find the fix.

We are using APOS Software and it maybe that it was causing the spawning of the Administrator sessions. When I stopped all the services from APOS the spawning stopped. After it stopped I restarted each service 1 by 1 and the spawning never started back up. Hope this helps someone else that might have this issue.

You might want to consider creating a specific Enterprise login for the APOS interface. That will help you to track what they are doing rather than just using the Administrator login. You can make that Enterprise login a member of the Administrators group and it should have the same permissions. We do this with any of our third party interfaces and haven’t had any issues.

2 Likes