BusinessObjects Board

Security on My favorites folder

Hello,
Here are our requirements for personal folder:

1. Group G1 should be able to create folders within My favorites folder
  2. G1 users should be able to access report from Public Folder and refresh it
  3. G1 users should be able to save Public Folder reports in to My favorites folder or sub-folder
  4. G1 users should NOT be able to edit or modify reports that are saved/copied from Public Folder

I was able to complete this requirement by granting Full Control (Owner) access to G1 group. The issue that I’m experiencing is on #4.
Allowing users to create folders or and sub-folders was ok to assign but “Deny” access to those reports if it’s saved/copied from Public Folder seems really hard.

I found that this has been an issue up until BOE 3.1 SP7 as it’s by design that you can either allow users with Full Control access to My favorites personal folder or completely Deny access so they won’t be able to access it.

Any one has experienced it? Any solution?

Thanks,

zulu1900 (BOB member since 2005-07-27)

The best you can do is deny the “Copy objects to another folder” right on the public folder, which will prevent the users from being able to copy the reports into their favorites.

Once a user copies a report into their favorites, you can no longer restrict it.

If the reason you have for allowing users to copy reports to their Favorites to is allow for easy access, then you should have them either create a shortcut or a category for the report. The report stays in place so it retains its security restrictions, but users can now access it quickly.

Joe

joepeters :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

agree, this makes me feel like it cannot be done.
Unfortunately, they want me to allow users to be able create a new report or folder or sub-folder within My favorites folder but if report is saved/copied from Public then users should not be able to edit/modify only the public report.

So… what’s the point in copying it to their own folder then?

agree…
We are setting up different level of groups like 1. basic user 2. advanced users 3. power users

What they expect to do is not to give report creation rights to #1 group, but they should be able to create folder. the #1 group can only save, copy, or receive report from different location and source but report edit/modify/create is absolutely NO for #1.

#2 and #3 will have their normal Personal Folder with Full Control (Owner) access.

Hope this makes sense.

Not really :slight_smile:

What’s the point of being able to copy a report from the public folder to Favorites, and not be able to modify it? The only thing they’d be able to do with it is refresh it, which they can do with the public version of the report. So, as I said, if they want to do this just so they can have their own “index” of reports, then they can use shortcuts or categories.