BusinessObjects Board

Security Issue with Custom Universes

We are using BO 6.5.4 with Mincom Ellipse. Mincom supplied a bunch of “standard” universes for using with Ellipse. We also have a handful of custom universes that are linked to the standard ones. This allows the vendor to send us replacement standard universes and us not having to mess around redoing customisations everytime.

Recently I cleared the BO universe cache folder and now have a problem that users are unable to refresh/run reports that are based on the custom universes. They get a

You are not authorized to access the universe: PymntC_C. See your BusinessObjects administrator. (Error: WIS 00503) (Error: INF )

The manager account is able to refresh these reports no issue. In supervisor there account appears to have normal access to the universes so I am not sure what causes this issue.

One other quirk I found is that if I give a user account enough access to create a new document based off the custom universe once they have done this they are then magically able to refresh the reports.

Hope you can help

waheed (BOB member since 2013-02-12)

We’ve experienced a similar issue with this error message when moving reports between environments. The underlying error is that no business layer is returned. For us, one fix seems to be using the Advanced (Java) Report Creation tool to “Change Data Source”. Even if you select the same universe as is currently used, changing the data source can repair this issue in our environment.

Maybe this will work for you too.

Wlog (BOB member since 2012-07-26)