BusinessObjects Board

SAP R3.1i datstore with DS 4.2 SP1

Hi Everyone:

I’ve a issue with SAP R/3 Datastore. My client has a very old SAP R/3 system whose version is 3.1i. As per DS 4.2 SP1 PAM, this version of SAP is not supported. But I tried to create an SAP Datastore for this SAP System in DS Designer and faced some issues with the user authorizations and finally created the datastore successfully. But now comes the real problem. When I try to import a table it says the below error:

Error creating RFC Function </BODS/TABLE_IMPORT>: <RFC_ABAP_EXCEPTION>-(Exception_Key: FU_NOT_FOUND>

It looks like it is looking for the specified function module. But I’ve imported the transport files for non-unicode system provided with DS 3.2 version which imports the function group ZAW0 and all the Z_AW_* function modules.

Now my question is where in Data Services(Is there any configuration file) it is mentioned to look for the function group /BODS/BODS or the function modules starting with /BODS/, whenever we try to do any import of metadata from an SAP system.
In a nutshell can I change something in DS or in SAP, so that the function module Z_AW_TABLE_IMPORT will be automatically triggered from DS. Or how will DS know to trigger only the function modules starting with /BODS/ when we try to import metadata.

I’ve almost checked all the ABAP code within the Z_AW_* function modules, tried to debug and found nothing. I’ve checked all the configuration files in DS and left with no clue.

Your inputs are really appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
Madan Koka

madankoka (BOB member since 2014-03-10)

Hi Folks:

To add to my post earlier, here are some more inputs:

1. Why I didn’t import the new function group non-unicode version of /BODS/BODS - Reason for this is the technical name of a function Group in R/3.1i system is restricted to only 4 characters in length. So, I couldn’t import the transport R22K900187 into this system, which tries to import the function group /BODS/BODS which is 10 characters in length. So, the function group ZAW0 complies to this limitation.

2. One more interesting thing while creating the Datastore for this system is, though the SAP user has SAP_ALL profile, if you try to put the username in lower case while creating the Datastore, it will throw an authorization error. So, the user id should always be in uppercase. But SAP GUI is case insensitive for user ID.

Waiting for your valuable inputs.

Thanks in Advance,
Madan Koka

Interesting. At least BODS 4.1 works with pre 4.1 SAP functions. So why 4.2 keeps looking for /BODS/ functions?

Johannes Vink :netherlands: (BOB member since 2012-03-20)

Yes, with 4.2, SAP no more provides the Transport files for the ECC.

They say, that they come prepackaged in SP’s of SAP ECC :x

So you will not find the files in the Transport folder.

I would suggest to raise a case with SAP Support

EDIT: Update:

Please refer to SAP Note:
1919255 - How to obtain transport files for Data Services and SAP Hana Cloud Integration for Data Services

ganeshxp :us: (BOB member since 2008-07-17)

I don’t think that’s a bad thing at all. I have spend too much of my time trying to convince SAP basis people that the DS functions are fine to install/transport on ECC and they originate from SAP - but often I still get told “we will not have third party code in our SAP ECC environment”.

So now, all I have to ask … Are you on the latest SP? And if not, getting that rolled out strangely seems to be less of a battle than getting a handful of DS functions installed.

ErikR :new_zealand: (BOB member since 2007-01-10)

Two Things

1. We should make BASIS realize that this is a SAP Transport provided by SAP themselves. When we say a R63K… Transport number they should automatically understand that it is a transport coming from R63 - the early-bird system which is reserved for SAP to troubleshoot. So they will be always fine to apply that transport. If they don’t know this then my next question will be are you a BASIS person? Also if they won’t be willing to apply a Development Function(code) then what for the system is ? A showcase piece?

2. I hate that the functions now come on a package with SAP Service Pack. This is so weird. If they will give a note, then BASIS can apply. But if you will ask them to upgrade to a service pack, then it may be altogether a project for them. I don’t think this is a wise idea. And you know, BASIS is one team who never care about other’s issue. I am frustrated too… :roll_eyes:

Depends a bit on what kind of component needs to be upgraded. I’ve experienced upgrades with SAP that were horrible and some were so smooth that I did not notice it.

But I’d rather go for the seperate import. Because then the BODS guys control the functions, not the other way around. What if in a SP there is an update on the functions that is breaking your config with BODS? Unlikely, but hey, think of:

• The (in)famous extractors
  • RFC streaming
  • More additional hardening of the security around the functions
  • All pre-generated abaps need to be generated again

I see some “challenges”.

Edit: and ofcourse your upgrade can fail because of the functions:
1912465 - Netweaver Support Package update fails due to problems with the Data Services functions in the /BODS/BODS function group

Brilliant of course, because also customers without BODS are now having “challenges”.

Hi Folks: I just wanted to understand where in DS or SAP, it is decided to trigger a specific function module when we do some activity from an SAP Datastore from DS Designer. For example if I try to import a table from an SAP system, then DS will call the Functoion /BODS/TABLE_IMPORT. How DS will know to trigger this function module, if we try to import a table. Where it is decided and a call is sent to SAP to trigger this RFC Function Module.

Appreciate your inputs in this direction.

Thanks in Advance,
Madan Koka

Madan, it is simple. It is written in the Program of BODS!!!

Hi Ganesh: Could you be more specific about this. Which program/function module contains this logic to decide the function module to be triggered when a specific activity is done in an SAP Datastore.

Appreciate your inputs.

Thanks and Regards,
Madan Koka

Madan, I meant that no one can change this to my best knowledge. I meant that it is written in the BODS Application Code and not configurable.

Can you let us know what you are trying to achieve with this?

Hi Ganesh: Is it possible see that configuration in BODS.

Thanks,
Madan Koka

Hi madankoka,

Have you tested if there is any way to change the code inside de function that DS 4.2 is using in SAP?, I mean, replace the DS 4.2 function code by de “AW” (DI-DS 4.0) code…

Megahanx :costa_rica: (BOB member since 2008-10-21)

What is stopping you from using /BODS/BODS function ? Raise a case with support and they will give you the new function file I suppose.

The thing I am trying to understand is, why would you want to stay back and how long is the plan to stay back with the old functions?

Refer Note: 1914899
Resolution:
Open Incident/OSS message for Support with EIM-DS-SAP component to request Data Services or Information Steward customer support to release the Pilot SAP Note “1916294” which has fixed transport files and procedure to apply it.

Hi Meghan: I’ve the same question. Where we can change this, so that DS may look for the old function Modules.

Thanks and Regards,
Madan Koka

Hi Ganesh: SAP R3.1i can’t have the function Group /BODS/BODS because the technical name is restricted to a maximum of 4 characters. And we’ve a plan to migrate this system data plant by plant to SAP ECC 6.0 version. But to completely migrate the data it may take another year. So, right now, we’re not able to use BODS 4.2 for this migration process.

I think the notes which you mentioned are not relevant to my issue.

Thanks and Regards,
Madan Koka

1. Is that version of SAP supported by SAP ? To my best knowledge I could think of, it is not I bet

2. That version of SAP is definitely not supported by SAP Data Services 4.2

3. I am just giving a wild suggestion. I believe, DS refers to those functions name only and not the package. The package is to just collectively have those functions in a place for maintenance. Just like how you will have the DB packages. So can you manually deploy all those function modules in the same package ZAW0 ? However, now those Programs don’t ship with the SAP Data Services product and it is acutally a part of SAP Service Pack release.

So whatever it is, I would suggest you to approach the SAP Support…Did you approach them at all?

Yes the note is for getting the programs when you are not going to apply the SAP Service Pack and applicable for SAP ECC 6.0 I believe?

Hi Ganesh: This version of SAP is not supported. And we can not copy these function modules starting with /BODS/ onto the function group ZAW0, as they do not start with a ‘Z’. In the newer versions these function modules are defined in new namespace /BODS/. I am curious to know where in Data Services it is decided to trigger the function modules starting with /BODS/ when we try to import metadata from SAP Data store, even for the newer versions.

Your inputs are really appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,
Madan Koka

Please do reach support. And I know support is simply going to say we don’t support that.

I don’t have any idea of the BODS Code. I AM NOT A BODS PRODUCT DEVELOPER

So, also the old functions are not present?

Because the old functions (pre 4.1) willbe in the ZAW0 space and should work with at least 4.1.