BusinessObjects Board

Retrieve result objects without opening doc

Hi,
I was wondering whether it’s possible to know what result objects are available in a Webi document without actually opening the document via ReportEngine.openDocument

I’m asking this because openDocument takes ages to be completed (15 to sometimes more than 30 seconds). When compared to the “reasons” why I’m using that function (which are (the reasons) to list the result objects and the query condition, including prompts), it doesn’t feel right; I can’t justify that lag in the application I’m in charge of.

Before using the Report Engine SDK, I had already considered using the IInfoObject that corresponds to the document, but it only holds the prompts and not all the information I am looking for.

If someone has dealt with making openDocument faster or replacing it, it would really be useful to me. Thanks.

vodoomoth (BOB member since 2010-10-19)

Try this.

Joe

joepeters :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

Thank you Joe.

I did not mention that I am using the SDK. The application is a web application accessing a remote BO install. So all I can do is use the Java SDK.

I’ve read the thread you linked to, and downloaded the zip file but I don’t know what to with that .rep file.

Can I use it in the app context I’ve described above?

vodoomoth (BOB member since 2010-10-19)

eh, maybe.

The .rep file is a DeskI document, which contains VBA code that does the real work. If you have DeskI, you can open the .rep file with it and then use the VBA editor to access the code.

You could probably convert the VBA to Java to be incorporated into your script, but it won’t be a simple copy-paste.

Joe

joepeters :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)