BusinessObjects Board

Restoring repository to get universes and reports working

A small number of our universes in BO6.5.1 are linked to a kernel universe. Prior to upgrading (to XI3.1) I decided to do an Include operation on these universes and then export them within 6.5.1. However when retrieving reports from Corp Docs that used these universes received the message “Some obsolete objects have been removed from the query (QP0027)”.
Reading other logs it looks as though the universe id has been updated and hence the old reports can’t access the universe(s) it refers to.

Presumably a simple restore of the repository will set the system back as it was and re-instate the old linked universes and report links?

fihopkirk (BOB member since 2005-10-24)

I’m not sure how you have moved your reports from 6.5 to your R3.1 environment, but if you haven’t, you need to use the Migration Wizard that comes with R3, this will import all the report and universe and at the same time retain the universe and report links so that everything works properly once you launch in R3.

plessiusa :netherlands: (BOB member since 2004-03-22)

If you do an include the universe is not longer dynamically linked but becomes “hard” linked.

RikDeclercq :belgium: (BOB member since 2006-09-28)

I’m not sure I understand what you mean, can you please elaborate.

If you dynamicaly link universe Y in universe X, and you change universe Y afterwards, these changes are also reflected in universe X. If a universe is hard-linked, changes are not propagated.

Ok, so what do you mean by ‘hard-linked’. I only ever do what you call a dynamic link which I will be quite honest is the what I thought was the only way that you could do this.
Am interested to know more about this other method and how you do it.

Thanks

For the other method, you click on Add Link… and select a universe. After this, select the universe and click on Include…. With this, the included universe is “copied” to the target universe. If you make changes to the included universe afterwards, these changes are not made in the target universe.

ok thanks for that, will have to investigate that.

Thanks again.