BusinessObjects Board

Reset event count on recurring schedule

Hello,

I am using Business Objects BI Platform 4.2 SP3 patch 4 (Version: 14.2.3.2301) and within the CMC I have some reports that are scheduled based on multiple file events. I was wondering if it was possible to force a scheduled report to only consider events that have occurred within the current day?

As a more detailed explanation, I have a schedule where report 1 is set on a 9 hour schedule and waits for events 1 and 2. Once both events are received the report fires. The 9 hour schedule was created because when running daily if one of the events was late the scheduler would push back the next run time until after the event normally fired.

The issue I’m running into now is that event 1 occurs before event 2, but only 5 days a week while event 2 happens 7 days a week. This causes the report to fire early once a week. For example:

Event 1 fires at 12:30 Tue - Sat.
Event 2 first at 1:30 everyday.

Under this schedule on Tuesday morning the report will fire at 12:30 am instead of waiting for 1:30 because on Monday the schedule received the event 2 flag.

My question is, is there a way to force the scheduler to only consider events that have occurred within the current day?

Thank you very much.

-NifflerX

NifflerX (BOB member since 2009-08-09)

Did you ever find a solution to this? We are experiencing something very similar.

Thank you,
Nick

I didn’t see this the first time round - make it a bit more concrete in what it’s checking for. You could have another event that tidies up on a daily basis (11:50pm for example) that resets anything that isn’t meant to fire.

I like where you’re headed, but I’m not sure how to setup that new event. Do you have an example of how that would be done?

Thanks

use some batch-script on your server to create two event-files based on your logic
or include all the time-dependent logic and create only one event-file.
you can also delete the files within this script.
it is also possible to separate the logic into two simple check-reports that are writing/exporting
a text-file to the server and based on the these files you can schedule other reports or scripts.

Pretty much what @N8AKTIV said.

I’m sorry, but I’m still not fully understanding. The issue is not with the creation of the text files used to trigger the events in BOBJ; that part is working. The issue is when one of the triggers doesn’t happen on a day, the next day is messed up.

In my scenario, we have two daily processes that build data in our BW system, and one BEx query for each those two processes. Then we have a WebI report in BOBJ that pulls from the two BEx queries. We don’t want the report to run until the data is ready from both processes, so each process creates a text file when it finishes, and those two text files are triggers for two events in BOBJ (I’ll call them Event A and Event B). Event A normally happens at 2:30 AM and Event B at 3:00 AM, but occasionally Event A is delayed and happens after Event B. This works great most days, and the report runs with all the expected data, regardless of which event happens first. However, due to period-end activities, the process for Event A doesn’t run one day each month. On that day, Event B is triggered, but not Event A, so the report doesn’t run (as expected). However, the next day, as soon as Event A is triggered, the report runs (I’m assuming because it was still waiting from the day before), and it is missing some data because the process for Event B hasn’t finished yet.

if the trigger/event is not working as expected then you have to manipulate the files with your own logic.
check or delete the files and create a new one as soon as your day-changing-condition is as desired

You’ll need an end of day cleardown task/event to remote the false positives.

I understand what you are saying, but I have no idea how to do that. What type of task can clear an event trigger in BusinessObjects? Is there a standard process for this that I’m just not aware of, because your responses don’t provide any details on how to do it.

Thank you

Run something on windows scheduler (.bat file, powershell script, etc.) to delete the file at 23:50 on the day that was created. If you’re looking at a windows batch script, this should help: Batch Script: Delete File if it exists

You’d run it on the Webi server with an account that has privileges to delete from that folder.

Does that make more sense?

Sorry, I didn’t realize that’s what you were referring to. The issue is with the event in BusinessObjects, not with the trigger file. Even if I delete the file a couple minutes after it gets created, the event in BusinessObjects must still be “flagged” somewhere as being triggered. So the next time the other file gets placed, the report runs, without waiting for the first trigger file to get placed again.

Okay then, let’s take a step back so that I can confirm the requirements.
My understanding:
On a given day, Event A and Event B should happen.
If they both happen, then early hours on day 2 the BO schedule kicks in. If neither happens, the schedule does not kick in, retrying to see if they have both happened.
Your problem occurs when Event A happened but B did not. Then Event B has happened on day 2, but Event A hasn’t happened yet, even though Event A has been flagged as happening because it happened the previous day. This means that the BO Scheduler in the early hours of day 3 thinks both events have happened that day and kicks in before Event A actually happened.

Is that correct?

Yes, I think that describes it correctly. Thanks!

I used the query builder to look at all the fields for the events and for the recurring schedule. Unfortunately, I didn’t notice any changes after Event A was triggered. I was hoping there would be some sort of flag on one of those records to indicate if/when the trigger occurred, but none could be found. I’m assuming it keeps track of it somewhere else.

Assuming these are file events…

A file even occurs when a file appears after it has been absent for at least one cycle of the Event Server. Are you deleting ALL of your event files at some point? Or do they get deleted when the process that sets them starts? I highly recommend deleting all of your even files at, for example, 12:05 AM. I believe if the file is missing it will clear the event that was triggered when the file appeared. So, if you delete both files at the same time every day, well before either process runs, it might fix your problem.

-Dell