BusinessObjects Board

Reports migration in BO 6.1

Or come anywhere near Application Foundation 6.1a (or 6.1b (or 6.1.3)).

joepeters :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

Performed a 4.1.7 to 6.5 SP2 upgrade in 2005… Oh ! Already 10 years from now…

bernard timbal :fr: (BOB member since 2003-05-26)

Oh Yeah! Application Foundation 5.1.8 (and 6.1b and 6.4 AND XIR2)… :crazy_face:

jwaterbury :us: (BOB member since 2007-09-21)

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the info.
I am new to BO6.1
Can you please guide me to a document where I can refer these steps.
I know that the repository is on an Oracle database in our case. So apart from this do we have a separate storage location in BO 6.1?
I am confused about your 3rd point. I thought the .rep files are saved in the repository. Sorry for asking in detail…but I am new to this old version.

Thanks
Nikhil

evolutions123 (BOB member since 2015-02-27)

Are you just creating a new webIntelligence 6.1 server keeping the BusinessObjects repository database at the same place with the same oracle version (no change) ?

Hi Bernard,

I am creating a new Webi Server as well as new Oracle database Server.
Basically it is a total infrastructure migration

thanks

ok : regarding the repository : ask you dba team to copy the database at the new place, then you have to be given the tnsnames.ora entry, login and password.

regarding webi server, you have to setup and install your binaries on your new server, then with supervisor, regenerate the bomain.key to access the repository to the new location and put the bomain.key file in the locdata subdirectory of your server (carry on joepeters instructions)

Bernard

one remark : have you new server / os / database release compatible with BusinessObjects 6.1 which is quite old now ?

Thanks. Yes our servers are compatible with the old version.
Could you please let me know if there is a storage location other than the repository database for the reports?

the storage area Joepeters is talking about which hosts the personnals reports on the webi server itself (not in the repository)

Warning to avoid cross-linked repository when loging first time with supervisor to the repository at his new location

Okay we have a dedicated file server.The BCA publisher pushes the reports to this file server.

The storage folder is in:
\Program Files\Business Objects\BusinessObjects Enterprise 6\nodes<hostname><clustername>\storage

This contains users’ personal documents, in-progress BCA documents, and received inbox documents.

consult this FAQ https://bobj-board.org/t/15228/7 to learn how to move he repository

Okay …we are not moving the users info as of now…So I dont care about the documents hostory …Users to the new environment will be created later.So all I want is to migrate the existing universes and reports which wil be used by newly created users.
In that case I believe this step will not be necessary .
Let me know if I am wrong.

Thanks for your help

You might not, but your client may not align with your view.

Mak 1 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-01-06)

You can copy the repository, which will bring users, groups, universes, documents, and schedules. At a later time, you can copy the storage folder, which will bring over users’ personal docs and their read inbox docs.

If for the first phase, you want to exclude users, and add them later, that will be problematic. Possible, but much more work.

So I guess in that case , i will copy and everything and delete whatever i dont want… :slight_smile:

You can do that, but I want to be clear – it’s much easier to migrate all content in one go than to do bits and pieces. So if you migrate everything, delete a bunch of users/reports/universes and then want to bring those back in later, it will be much more effort. You could, of course, do this for testing purposes, then blow everything away and get a fresh copy.

Thats pretty much clear…we are going ahead with test environment now …I will create it the way i want here and while moving to production , I can just copy the test repository.Thanks a lot for your time and help.Really appreciate that …

btw…do u know whether any technical manual is available regarding this somewhere.I searched SAP website but no luck ! :frowning:

sorry but its a very old version of BO. You will not find any doc on BO/SAP techsupport website

I’m pretty sure with 6.5.1 that the documentation was on the installation CD. Lacking that, you may need to open an incident with SAP.