BusinessObjects Board

Report built in 4.2 acts differently in 4.3, plus report properties are different

I have an annual report that uses a spreadsheet. When setting up this year, I got some errors, and walked it back to what looks like an issue with 4.2 vs 4.3

The previous year report works great, but the properties are odd - it shows the Excel tab name as the document (and path).

But if I re-point to the EXACT SAME FILE, I get several errors, and now the properties look correct, but different from the version created in 4.2.

Here are the files, so the first screen shot above shouldn’t be showing “Bare Bones test”, that’s the name of the Excel tab.
Bus Objects, files to select for Excel data source 4dot3

There were several issues with the report, but since I re-pointed to the exact same file, there should be 0 issues. Here’s one - there’s no data even though the report hasn’t changed, and the crosstab is still the same. (Each of the circles has a data element)
Bus Objects, Fall AY23, crosstab doesn't work

here’s the same crosstab with data looking good.
Bus Objects, Fall AY23, crosstab works origin report

So I have to conclude that there’s some issue with 4.3 not being able to handle a 4.2 file 100%. It’s a whopper of a report so I’m not keen on re-building it.

Hi William, what is the exact version you are trying in 4.3 ?

try with Rich Client or update BO to the newest patch level
(always keep 4.3. up to date, because there are still many bugs)

The mapping of excel based objects is different in 4.3.(designation of objects as dimension, detail or measure)
Have you attempted to do this mapping in the 4.3 report?

James

Thanks for the responses - I apologize for the delay…

srinivasp74

what version

• BI Platform 4.3 Support Pack 2, Version : 14.3.2.4073.0

N8AKTIV

try Rich Client or update BO to newest patch level

• good idea on trying Rich Client, I will try that today. I don’t have control over the patch level but I will ask.

jemstar

The mapping of excel based objects is different in 4.3

• I haven’t looked at this, but will give it a close inspection, good idea.

I did find one difference with 4.3, in regards to object designation, so I will look at that carefully

I got it all worked out! But I do appreciate the tips … :+1: :+1: :+1:

Things were a little flaky with the Excel fields, mostly I had to add TO-NUMBER to certain fields and it all worked gret. Not entirely consistent with other similar fields, but it’s all working and whew!