BusinessObjects Board

Refresh Error with invalid date

Dear Listers,

Some of my functional users are doing some testing by refreshing reports through Infoview over extranet and intranet.The report has a date prompt and for testing purpose they are trying to break the reprot by inputting the date value as ‘12/32/2003’ and webi is throwing the following error.

I know full client don’t even let them refresh the report when they input date like above and hence they don’t see any error.Is there some setting in Webi not to allow them to refresh report when they input an invalid date.
Their argument is if some one input an invalid date they say that the system should not throw an error and instead pop up a message saying that is an invalid date to me looks like an SDK work. Or is there a work around using SQL to rest dates to max of day and month?

Automation exception   BusinessObjects server process raised an automation exception. (BOMGR0060)   IDispatch error #109   Error during SQL execution: (DA0003): [[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]The conversion of a char data type to a datetime data type resulted in an out-of-range datetime value.242] The following data providers have not been successfully refreshed: MTD. (DMA0007): 
   (returned by function Refreshing Document) ) 

Any inputs are welcome.
TIA

arkay9 :india: (BOB member since 2002-12-10)

The easiest way to prevent incorrect date entry is to make the users pick dates from an LOV, so change your prompt syntax from “free” to “constrained”

If your LOV is based upon a transaction table you may want to consider building it against a calendar table.

Paul Shovlar :uk: (BOB member since 2002-09-05)

But I keep in mind that LOVs for dates are pretty useless, because they do not add to usability in my books unless we are talking about pay period dates, financial accounting dates, etc.

LOV for Shipping Dates for example only add overhead to the Business Objects system.

IMHO

Now, I am refreshing a Business Objects Full Client document via WebI SDK \wiasp 2.7.2 and when I enter an invalid date such as 12/32/2003 the document refreshes, but does not return any data.
When I create a WebI doucment and enter an invalid date I receive a SQL error, and the detail message tells me invalid months, etc.

In plain vanilla WebI 2.7.2\wi I do get the automation exception error.

I could not agree more.

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

Date handling in BO is about non-existent. Have you ever tried displaying an LOV sorted in date order before? Yeah, I know it can be done, but its pretty painful…

Anyway, I read in the 6.1a release notes they have added a calendar pop-up for date prompts. May be worth looking into if you have the option to upgrade sometime soon.

Also, if your are so inclined, its possible to add your own calendar pop-up to WIASP/WIJSP code under 2.7.2. The basic idea is you’d have to know when a prompt is for a date (maybe by a key word like “date” in the prompt string), and then in prompt.asp add your favorite calendar pop-up control.

This won’t stop someone from entering a bad date, but it will be a user-friendly way of entering them.

Good luck.

craigpeters :us: (BOB member since 2003-05-09)

Hi there all,

Sorry to bring this very old post to life again, but my problem is basically exactly the same.

I’m trying to write a prompt to allow the user to choose a list of dates.
I’ve done this hundreds of times before so I have a little experience in it!

I just can’t get rid of this error:

This is the where statement for the PDC:

@Select(Duty Date\Duty Date) IN @Prompt('Please select the duty dates(s) you would like to report on.',D,'Duty Date\Duty Date',multi,constrained)

This is the SQL for the same statement:

( DateDim_PplDuties_dtmDate.DAY_DATE ) IN @Prompt('Please select the duty dates(s) you would like to report on.',D,'Duty Date\Duty Date',multi,constrained)

I’m lost, I don’t have a clue how to fix this!
Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Pete

foshdafosh :uk: (BOB member since 2004-05-04)

Well a bit late, but check the objecttype in the universe. Make sure this is a date object.

Blaster :netherlands: (BOB member since 2006-03-31)