BusinessObjects Board

Recovering Reports

Hi, been a while since i posted here and so i have had to create a new account. I hope someone can help, our BOXI 4.2 has had issues, mainly OS bus as we rarely log onto the server we didn’t notice how bad it was, down to the fact that I cant run server manager or any of the boxi tools on the machine. Luckily we have backups but i have had to go back 3 months for a stable system. In the 3 months our users have worked on quite a few new reports that I could do with adding to our restored server. Now, I am aware that I can’t just copy a file over, but are there folders that can be imported to get these reports transferred? On the old server, I don’t have access to the data migration tool that would have helped.

Thanks in advance

G

I’m assuming from your post that you now have two environments, one that is unstable and one that is stable but has old content.

Have you tried running Promotion Management from the stable environment to migrate the content you need from the unstable environment? That would be my first attempt. If it helps in the unstable environment, you can shut down all the services except the CMS, FileStore servers and whatever APS is running your Promotion Management service.

WhatI have had to do is shut the old server down, most of the services are flaky but the file structure is there for the most part (some of the .exe s wont fire up) and i have restored the machine from a backup (same name, SID, IP et al) i can shut one down to bring the other up to get hold of files. If that makes sense.

G

Your best option in that case would be to bring up your old environment, use Promotion Management to export the reports you need to a BIAR file and then import the BIAR file into the new environment. All you would need to make that is up on the old environment would be the CMS, Input and Output File Repository Servers, the APS hosting Promotion Management and your web browser.

Thank you, I’ll take a look at that first thing in the morning. :+1:

If you’re still having issues, you can access both the filestore and the CMS database, and the recovered server is the same name as the failing server, there are some other options:

1. If the CMS database and the filestore are not on the computer that’s failing, just make sure that the recovered server is connected to the current version of the CMS database and that the Input and Output file repositories to the current filestore location. Since the server names are the same, everything should work.

2. If the CMS database and/or the filestore are on the computer that’s failing you could try this:
    a. On the computer that’s failing, shut down the CMS, Tomcat, and everything except the database.
    b. Backup the database and copy the backup to the network.
    c. Copy the filestore to somewhere on the network.
    d. Shut down the failing server.
    e. Start the restored server.
    f. Shut down the CMS.
    g. Restore the database.
    h. Delete the restored filestore and then copy the filestore that you previously copied to the network to the restored server.
    i. Start the CMS.
    -Dell

1 Like