BusinessObjects Board

Reason for post deletion

My apologies Dave, I in no way was trying to undermine the integrity of your website. The purpose of my post was to shed light on the fact that xcelsius being run on the Ipad as well as all other IOS devices is currently being done. Your statement that my post was “nothing more than advertising” isn’t fair. It takes innovation and many man hours to accomplish something that others have failed to bring to the market and for you to dismiss my firms accomplishments, simply because I didn’t give up the “secret sauce” as to how we do this, is unfortunate. Unlike your website, my firm is affiliated with SAP and Business Objects and if your website would like to be left in the dark regarding significant advances in this industry, I will respect that. While my approach to announcing that Xcelsius can and is being running on the Ipad might not have complied with BOB’s Terms of Service, I felt your users would find this information valuable. I thank you for not banning me but I must reiterate that “nothing more than advertising” is grossly misworded.

Sincerely,

Apologetic Innovator

ExxovaBI (BOB member since 2011-05-27)

ExxovaBI, please understand that there are companies who pay to advertise on BOB in the banner at the top of every page. It would be unfair to those advertisers if we let other companies post information about their products for free. However, we do allow BOB members to do a limited amount of advertising in their signatures. Obviously, this is useless unless you participate on BOB. The more assistance you give other members, the more people will see your signature. I hope this makes sense.

Bobinator (BOB member since 2008-09-09)

Bobinator,

Clearly understood and logical. I appreciate the response. I’ve always monitored and had interest in this site. I had to register once I noticed people saying this couldn’t be done. Have a great memorial day weekend!

ExxovaBI

ExxovaBI (BOB member since 2011-05-27)

Your post did not include anything more than information that a commercial solution was available, and a link to your web site. I would call that advertising, wouldn’t you?

Addressed above.

I would not disagree with this at all. In fact, kuddos to you or those at your company that were responsible. However, that doesn’t change the fact that your prior post was reported as advertising and treated as such.

I never dismissed your accomplishments, just removed the post. You will note that I did not call you or your company out by name either, I simply removed the post. I thought that way you could learn from the response and adjust your board participation accordingly. And to be very clear, nobody is requiring or even expecting you to give you your “secret sauce” or proprietary information. We simply ask that you help out on the board. If you or someone at your company has knowledge to help people, then by all means do so! You are allowed to promote your product in your signature with a simple slogan and a link to your site. If you have been monitoring the site as you say, then you have probably seen plenty of examples of this. The question you answer doesn’t even have to have anything to do with your product.

That’s a bit harsh, isn’t it? We like to learn about new products, but in an appropriate fashion. Any person or company that posts here without providing value to the community is treated the same way. As stated above, it’s really quite simple. Become a productive helping member of the community and I think you will see that you are welcomed.

You made your call, I made mine. I stand by my decision. You are not allowed to decide to ignore our rules because it suits your purpose at the time.

In all of the years of BOB I think we have banned a grand total of two user accounts (other than obvious spammers). It’s an action of last resort.

Then we will simply have to agree to disagree.

At this point, these posts will be split to their own topic as they add nothing of value to the original poster. If you prefer to continue a conversation in private to clarify the board rules or position on advertising versus signature links, or any other clarification that you might like, please use the contact form to provide an email address.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Split from original topic here:

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)