BusinessObjects Board

[R4] Live Office Installation issues - KB907417 SOLVED

This post is just to inform any other users who are installing Live Office and getting the dreaded KB907417 issue , and how to fix it on newer versions of Office.

The Issue:
When attempting to install Live Office on a machine that is running any version of office greater than 2003, you may get an error message stating:

(NOTE: The message has recently been changed to say Office 2003 or greater in SP01)
Obviously, you cannot install that patch if you are running any version other than 2003 of office, so the error message is extremely misleading.
This error can happen on any machine that had an Office upgrade at any point… OR even on a fresh box. (We had 2 boxes that were built in front of me from scratch, with nothing but office 365, and they too had the error.)

The most common reason this message appears is actually due to the fact that the system is looking for the install path in the registry that does not exist.
Newer installations of Office seem to use a different registry structure than what BOBJ is looking for.

The Fix
First ensure the following:

1. You are using a 32 bit installation of Microsoft Office (64 bit is NOT supported and will not install)
  2. Your Microsoft Office version is 2007 or higher (2003 can work but you will need that patch that the installer states. The patch cannot be applied to 2007 or greater!)
  3. Ensure that your “OTKLOADR.DLL” file is version 7.10.5077 or higher. This file is located in your office installation folder under root/office15/ADDINs.
    Standard installation path is:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15\ADDINS

If those are all set, then you need to add two registry keys to ensure the system is looking in the right place… in my case, only the 64bit key was needed, but I’m adding both just in case and since I’m actually using the 32 bit version of office. (The fact that the installer looks at the 64 bit key is part of the problem)

ADD the following to the registry (you can cut-paste this into a text file if you wish and name it “something.reg” and then double click to add it automatically)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\InstallRoot]
"Path"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Office 15\\root\\Office15\\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\InstallRoot]
"Path"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Office 15\\root\\Office15\\"

You can see in the above both the 32 bit path location and the 64 bit path location in case you want to manually add them.

Once we added those paths, we no longer received the error message.

I hope this message saves someone the several days of research and SAP ticket back-n-forth that I went thru before I figured out the answer.
Enjoy.

JPetlev (BOB member since 2006-11-01)

Kudos to you, this fix is just what I needed. :+1: :+1:

RichRod :us: (BOB member since 2007-02-28)

According to SAP KB 2096200 - Does Live Office support Office 365?, the answer is “no”. But this KB907417 registry modification worked great with Microsoft Office 365 and SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence 4.1 SP5. Thank you for sharing!

dmarks :us: (BOB member since 2003-04-16)

Cool! This sure can come in handy. Thanks for sharing.

Julian :singapore: (BOB member since 2013-04-29)

Thanks a Lot

Installed SAP Live office 4.0 SP2 with office 2013. I was showing that missing Office and critical patch.

I tried your approach and it worked, just a small change in my case. I need to put this path in Office\12.0 also.

Great finding !

Code:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\12.0]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common\InstallRoot]
"InstallCount"=dword:0000000b
"Path"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Office\\Office15\\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel\InstallRoot]
"Path"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Office\\Office15\\"

lalitgoyal :us: (BOB member since 2004-02-27)

I’m running Office 16… suggestions on how to hack the registry for this?

OmaCoder (BOB member since 2015-11-03)

How to run the SAP BOLO BI4.2 (SP2 and below) or BOLO BI4.1 install on office 2016.

NOTE: Office 2016 is not officially supported with BOLO BI4.2 (SP2 and below) or BOLO BI4.1.

Issue:
while installing BOLO BI 4.2 Sp2 it fails at the prerequisites page,
Error message:
microsoft office 2007 32-bit or higher
microsoft office patch

How to fix it:
microsoft has changed the location for Office 2016 installation.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\

Earlier it used to be
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15

if we check the SAP BOLO setup code, it looks for OTKLOADR.DLL at either
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office13
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15
etc

so what you need to do is create a dummy entry in the regisitry. you can create with any office version , i created with office 12.
Please copy the below code and save it as .reg file and run it.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\12.0]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common\InstallRoot]
“InstallCount”=dword:00000002
“Path”=“C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\”

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel\InstallRoot]
“Path”=“C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\”

This will solve your problem :slight_smile:

Rijo John (BOB member since 2016-09-13)

For us, we ran the SAP Program, liveoffice_enable_addin.exe, in
C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\win32_x86

or for 64bit,
C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\win64_x64

This program exists for 4.1 and 4.2

Maybe it generates those registry entries, not sure.
When you run it you check boxes for the 4 Apps you want Live Office enabled for. Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook.

It’s not clear why at least Excel is not on by default. What’s the point of installing Live Office and enabling none of it? :hb:

pcgeekus :us: (BOB member since 2003-10-16)