BusinessObjects Board

Query Panel Search

Lately I have been hearing the complaint from our users that they have trouble finding a particular object in the query panel. You might say that our classes are not intuitive but that’s a different story.

It would be great if the query panel had a find capability - like looking for a userid in Supervisor. We have a query that allows a search for objects on a universe but that seems too cumbersome (OK I can’t find an object so let me open up another query to run to find the name of the object so I can come back to my first query to select the object…)

I was wondering if anyone out there has come up with a creative solution? Or are your universes so successfully designed that this is not a problem for you. If this is the case please pass on your secrets to success!

Thanks!

Rana Kassel (BOB member since 2002-06-21)

Rana,

This would be a great thing to add to our wish list.

I generally try to limit the number of objects in a universe, so it doesn’t get too confusing to the users. I also try to group my objects into logical classes from a user perspective.

However, as I think about this, you can print a list of all objects to a pdf document from Designer (if you have Acrobat Writer) and make that available to users. They could search that.

Another idea (I haven’t tried this) would be to copy all of your objects to a class called “Alphabetical List” and put them in alphabetical order here. You could rename them to add a slash, followed by the name of the class in which they reside.

Just my $0.02 :smiley:

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)

We ususally sort all objects and classes alphabetically (a class with all the measures is usually at the bottom containing all measure objects). We also use a separate class for conditions, which works really nice in WEBi.

The classes as help text often contain the list of objects included in the class.

You still would have to know/guess in which class a particular object might be and of course follow certain naming conventions across the whole company if possiblle (for example Flag Status or Status Flag).

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

Find objects in the query panel is a feature that is in Enterprise 6 (Tosca), I believe.

Blake Sanders (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

Yes – if you look through this post, under “Full Client”, it sure implies that a Find will be there!

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)