BusinessObjects Board

Qaaws vs New Query option in LO enabled excel

While design, I came across couple of options for designing a dashboard.

1. Through Qaaws, for this we need to have a universe available and we get classes and objects to select. In this scenerio database is directly hit while refreshing dashboard.

2. New Query option in Live Office enabled excel. Even this option is almost similar to what we do in Qaaws.

What are the differences between two approaches. Which approach to use in what kind of scenerio.

Thanks

avbaby :india: (BOB member since 2009-05-09)

QaaWS cannot be scheduled.

With LiveOffice one can use an existing Crystal Report or WebIntelligence document, which can be scheduled.
In addition when using a Crystal Report or WebIntelligence document (via LiveOffice) one can use additional calculation in the report, such as grand total, etc.

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

Thanks for your reply. Even I have been working on this part. Found couple of more differences.

1. In Qaaws, selection of data range isn’t required while designing dashboard. Just a selection of first cell is enough. In new query option of LO, selection of data range is required.
  2. Hard-coding of username and password isn’t required for new query LO option as compared to Qaaws.

Please correct if i am wrong.

avbaby :india: (BOB member since 2009-05-09)