BusinessObjects Board

Python code for updating master with sub records

Hi

I am zero in python and tried to search and develop the code with no success. :x

using Best record option in post processing I want to update most of the columns in the Master record with sub records whenever it encounters NULL in master record. can anyone please help with the custom python code?

Any place where i can quickly learn to develop python code?

Thanks

BODSDW (BOB member since 2011-01-19)

Cant you use the non-blank ‘best record strategy’ setting?

you can click on each of the strategies and examine the python code associated. Its pretty simple.

anything outside of that I’ll put in a user defined transform. It takes more work/code but I feel like I have more control of what the transform is doing. (usually try to do it in queries if at all possible)

story has always been that the python code did not multi-thread.

jlynn73 :us: (BOB member since 2009-10-27)

The problem is there are too many columns, more than 10 and you can just put 1 strategy field in one Best REcord Strategy.

example - there are columns from ‘A’ to ‘Z’ and I want to add all the values in these column to Master if any column values in A to Z in master is blank. Even if I do that, my question is if I create 10 Best Record strategy in post processing defining unique columns, will all the strategy work or any of the Best record strategy will take precedence over other?

BODSDW (BOB member since 2011-01-19)

After you’ve built it and determined the results are good/bad, then I would start to get worried about alternatives. If you have dozens of fields to post, I would not hesitate to use a user defined transform.

once you get past the required syntax required to process the collection, its actually easier & faster to use than best record would be for a lot of fields. my .02

jlynn73 :us: (BOB member since 2009-10-27)