BusinessObjects Board

Purging/Deleting Instances

Hi All;

During our migration to XI Edge I created a schedule for a webi report. This schedule has been running for the past 6 months. Unfortunately (because I am new to XI) I did not set a instance limit. This report has created 5.1 mil instances! I know shame on me for no limit (like I said I am new).

Now how do I purge/delete instances/report I have tried to set limits (nada). I have tried to delete report via CMS and Infoview (nada). The report will not delete. The 5.1 mil instance has taken all of the resources in the dbo.CMS_InfoObjects6 table…

BTW the report did not have some crazy schedule. The report was set to run daily. I have had a couple of other schedule reports that went crazy but I was able to stop them and reschedule.

Please advise on how to get delete this report…

Thanx

mj1ton (BOB member since 2010-09-03)

Sounds like you’ve been bitten by the daylight saving bug. Check out these 2 links which include a utility to clean up the damage:

https://websmp230.sap-ag.de/sap(bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==)/bc/bsp/sno/ui_entry/entry.htm?param=69765F6D6F64653D3030312669765F7361706E6F7465735F6E756D6265723D3135363832333926
https://websmp230.sap-ag.de/sap(bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==)/bc/bsp/sno/ui_entry/entry.htm?param=69765F6D6F64653D3030312669765F7361706E6F7465735F6E756D6265723D3134343838383126

The articles reference XI Enterprise, but your problems with Edge sound identical. You can also find several threads on this board if you search for DST or daylight saving time.

Welcome to B:mrgreen:B.

BoB LoblaW :us: (BOB member since 2007-10-23)

Thanx for the input… but your link does not work :frowning:

As you have mentioned that there is only one report whose instances are grown then I do not believe it is a DST issue. Still I have attached linkw to my blogs. Should help you. :slight_smile:

You may refer to two of the below mentioned links:

For DST:
http://bi-thinkers.blogspot.com/2011/05/dst-issues-with-sap-businessobjects-xi.html

To delete report and instances:
http://bi-thinkers.blogspot.com/2011/05/how-to-delete-report-and-its-instances.html

BI Thinker

[http://bi-thinkers.blogspot.com]

BI Thinker (BOB member since 2011-05-16)

I hate the way SAP redirects their links. Search for articles 1568239 and 1448881.

BoB LoblaW :us: (BOB member since 2007-10-23)

Thanx All;

After digging into the “instance” deleting problem, I realized the disk that holds the file store database only had 150mb left. This is not enough room to delete 10gb of data in a SQL database. Fortunately we are on a virtual server environment, thus I could allocate more disk space to the server. BO is sloooooooowly deleting the instances on it own. After 2 days it has deleted 2 mil instances on its own. Hopefully in a couple of days all will be good.

:slight_smile:

Guys

I have just got to a customer site where they also have in excess of 3m instances of one report!

I have now set the instances limit to 5. But how are the old instances deleted? Is there a scheduled job that runs? Is there anyway to force this scheduled job?

fghs_1987 :uk: (BOB member since 2008-01-02)

At that point I’d consider making a copy and deleting that document - yikes!

Brent

bdouglas :switzerland: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

It depends on which limit you set.

If you set the number to 5, I believe it is triggered the next time a report is scheduled.

If you set it for a number of days, it appears to be triggered at midnight when the date changes.

If you had that many instances, you may want to look at the procedures for scheduling that report and also who can schedule the report to prevent this in the future rather than just try to deal with the aftermath.

HI

There is one possibility to clear all the instances with in span of time by using third party tools…Using APOS tool you can achieve this problem…Trail version are available on Net. Next time when you do scheduling you have to set instances Limit. Other wise you will face Space issue and also performance impact.

Cheers
Deep

deepakngm (BOB member since 2011-06-30)

Hi there
Revisiting an old post :slight_smile:
Can someone please advise on how to do this with BO 4.1 SP5?
I have set the limits st the folder level on the number of instances and the instances now are removed from the BO system - but they are not deleted from the Output Filestore. The reason for setting the limits was to alleviate a space issue on the server but it has not helped.
Can you advise whether there are other steps that need to be followed?
I read somewhere about if there is not enough temporary space on the server, the files cannot be deleted - is that possible??
Thanks

SarahG :australia: (BOB member since 2005-08-22)

The Repository Diagnostic tool will remove the files. You will most likely have to run it on a regular basis. This is a tool that is included with Business Objects. Instructions on using it are in the Administrator’s Guide.

Hi,

How do you know?

Please check the hot backup settings in CMC -> Settings -> Hot Backup -> Hot Backup Maximum Duration.

Reports (including instances) are being removed from IFRS/OFRS only after the specified number of minutes has passed. So you may want to check the presence of a file directly in IFRS/OFRS later, not right after you have removed a report/instance.

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

Hi Marek,
I took note of the file details in the Output FRS before and after the limits were set and I didn’t see the file deleted.
I am rechecking it this morning in the hopes that it is now resolved.
The files have been reduced significantly!
Thanks for your help

SarahG :australia: (BOB member since 2005-08-22)