BusinessObjects Board

Publications Running over 24 hours

Hello Folks

Environment: 4.1 SP9 (Physical) Windows 2008 server 1TB RAM SQL server database

Issue: Systemic issue where all publications run for longer then 24 hours before completing.

I have ran the same publications on two other separate environments one 4.1 SP9 and 4.2 SP4, the results is they run in normal time few seconds to few minutes.

I have SAP involved but I have not made traction with them. They collected logs, landscape report. Created single ADP with XMX set at 10G

Any advice how I can research root cause of the issue?

I am thinking of splitting the adaptive processing server according to a video I saw on the SAPAnalyticsTraining https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Uyi0V7RdwA

Thank You,
Amr

a123 (BOB member since 2011-12-28)

Are they waiting for WIPS resource. Click on Running and see what it says.

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Thank You Nick for your prompt reply. I attached a screen shot of the message. In the two other environments the publications finished within 60 seconds. Yesterday when I ran this publication it took 16 hours.
2018-04-26_10-45-31.gif

I took the information in the status message “waiting for scheduling job to complete” and googled it and came across this link https://archive.sap.com/discussions/thread/1783918

It said due to recurring schedule the publication can be waiting? I created a copy of the report with no schedules and behold the publication ran fine.

So what is the issue with the report having recurring schedules and a publication over it?

See the word Pending in your screenshot? It means there isn’t a free crystal service to procesd the report…are other reports running all day while these publications hang about?

Hello Nick for the log file I don’t know why it says it is pending. I assume because the log file is being written into. I ran a few tests and for log file it does show status of pending until the publication completes. The Status does show running.

I don’t understand how a recurring schedule in the report impacts the publication?

The publication is just a wrapper but the work is done by a crystal report service…or web intelligence processing service. They have limits on concurrent usage. Say that limit is 5 and 5 crystal reports are currently scheduled and running…your publicstion can get started but that is jyst the wrapper it needs a free slot to actually run the report

I don’t have any other reports pending. So I have been running more tests. I have been pulling in more data instead of daily, monthly now. I have noticed the same message “waiting for scheduling job to complete” then it finishes.

My next steps in testing is to pull more data about 6 month worth so I have a baseline. Then I will schedule a normal recurring report and run the publication and see if performance stays the same.

Ok, did you try just scheduling a refresh of the report as opposed to a full blown publication?

Hello Nick,

The issue has been resolved. I had to go to the default setting in the actual report and remove the event trigger. It still does not make sense why saving an event in the default setting would cause this behavior. I will reach out to the SAP reps and see if they can replicate the issue and offer advice.

I appreciate all your help,
Amr