BusinessObjects Board

Problem viewing data between BODS 3.2 and BODS 4.2

All,

we are migrating jobs to our new jobserver (old jobserver= BODS XI 3.2, new jobserver BODS 4.2)

When connecting to the SAP ECC system, importing a table is no problem.
But when we try to view data for specific tables, we receive the error:

Error calling RFC function to get table data: <RFC_ABAP_EXCEPTION-(Exception_Key: DATA_BUFFER_EXCEEDED>.

Tables where we get this message: MARA, VBAP
Table where it works: A057

In the old version, all three tables are being viewed without problems.

I already found this note:
http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1752954

But we provided the transports to our basis team and they replied that the transports were not necessary since in the readme file:

SAP NetWeaver 6.0 and later: no transport file is provided. SAP functions for Data Services are included into three SAP components: PI_BASIS, SAP_APPL and SAP_BW. If your system does not contain these functions, please update the corresponding component.

We are currently on SAP Netweaver 7, but when we look with the transaction /SE37 there is no folder /BODS/BODS

When we lookup individual functions we see RFC_READ_TABLE but not RFC_STREAM_READ_TABLE

Any idea what is happening? It seems some functions are missing, but transports are not necessary and they give unicode errors when basis team tries to load them.

aragornII :belgium: (BOB member since 2006-12-21)

Hi Aragorn,

Believe me or not - you will have to add those transport files.
And, they’re not backwards compatible.

Bajiman :switzerland: (BOB member since 2011-05-19)

I believe you :slight_smile:
And what’s the best way to do?
Setting the parameter in STMS to ignore the error messages or manually upload the functions from the manualinstall folder?

Hi Aragorn,

I found this:
Installing Functions on the SAP Server
SAP BusinessObjects Data Services provides functions that support the use of the ABAP, BAPI, and
IDoc interfaces on SAP servers. You will need some or all of these functions in the normal operation
of the software in an SAP environment. These functions perform such operations as dynamically loading
and executing ABAP programs from Data Services, efficiently running preloaded ABAP programs,
allowing for seamless metadata browsing and importing from SAP servers, and reporting the status of
running jobs. Some of these functions read data from SAP NetWeaver BW sources.
You must upload the provided functions to your SAP server in a production environment. It is
recommended that you always upload the functions to your SAP server whether you are in a
development, test, or production environment. The functions provide seamless integration between
Data Services and SAP servers.
The default installation places two function module files for SAP servers in the …\Data
Services\Admin\R3_Functions\transport directory. You then upload these files to SAP servers
using the SAP Correction and Transport System (CTS) or manually. Using CTS allows for version
control as the functions evolve across releases.
The installation provides two versions of transport files (depending on the server version you are using)
to install the functions on the SAP server. To obtain the names of the latest transport files for installing
or upgrading these SAP server functions, see the readme.txt file

And I’ve found those files and text files in the local install folder…in:
Program Files\SAP BusinessObjects\Data Services\admin\R3_Functions
(that’s where I’ve installed it).
There you’ll find some descriptive txt as how to proceed.

After intalling, it might happen that the executing user is missing some authorizations.
Here my authorizations team helped me by tracing the user and then adding the necessary rights.

Sure hope you’ll find it :slight_smile:

Hello Bajiman,

that are indeed the files I provided to the Basis team, but they returned me the files telling that :

1. we are working on the SAP Netweaver version 7, so no transport was actually needed (according to the readme file)

2. when they tried to upload the files, they got a lot of errors.

But when I ask them to check in the function group if for instance RFC_STREAM_READ_TABLE exists, then there is no function with that name,
RFC_READ_TABLE is available.

Aragorn,

Ahhhhhh, convincing SAP-Basis is to be compared a task as hard as delivering the one Ring to Saurons place.

But I know how the greek godess of victory would achieve this: “Just do it”
(Nike).

Somehow you got to convince them.
I am pretty sure that you’ve convinced yourself by finding that the ABAP Function group RFC_STREAM_READ_TABLE doesn’t exist…

Maybe you should give them a :cookie:

Hello Bajiman,

they are convinced that something is wrong, but it’s hard to find out what.
Apparantly, we have this problem:

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3503562

Thats exactly what we have, although we also selected UTF-8 as codepage as suggested by the post.

I don’t have a clue why the codepage setting of the datastore in BODS would impact the transport into the ECC system :slight_smile:

grtz

The advise given there is absolutely BS. The transport files and the datastore connection settings are unrelated.

Don’t know how to solve your problem, but there is a SAP Note out with instructions how to get the BODS functions provided via SAP support, then get them transported. Maybe your set of functions is incorrect.

Johannes Vink :netherlands: (BOB member since 2012-03-20)

Hello Johannes and Bajiman,

I got feedback from SAP Support and apparantly we faced this issue:

http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1980221

1980221 - Error “Syntax error in line 000000” occurs when installing DS functions using CTS into SAP

It was resolved by new transport files, provided by SAP Support.

Thanks all for the help :wink:

Superb :+1:

Have fun with it :wink:

Johannes Vink :netherlands: (BOB member since 2012-03-20)