BusinessObjects Board

Problem Logging into CMS, Business Objects XIR2

Hi To All Gurus

We have a problem where we are unable to login into Business Objects XIR2. We are not able to login into CMS,Infoview,Designer, DesktopIntelligence or anything.

Problem is Database Administrator has dropped all the tables from database, It is DB2. He did backup all other DB2 tables, but did not knew that he need to back up Business Objects tables also. They are using Business Objects from 2 years but did not did backup Business Objects table untill now single time.

I am new to XIR2, I can see the user name in the DB2 and some tables are there but I am not sure whether all the tables are still present or not. I have checked in the CCM, All the servers are running fine but not able to login into any of them(CCM,Desinger,Deski,Infoview). Even when we try to login in CMS as Administrator it is giving error User Account Information is invalid.

What happens if the Business Objects tables have been deleted from database. There are so many universes, Deski Reports and Webi reports. Is there any source that we can get back all the Universes, Deski and Webi reports. I can see all the universes,Deski and Webi reports in File Input Server.

Please Help us to login into Business Objects XIR2 and get all the work back. Please let me know the steps in detail. Please let me know if I am not clear, I will give you more information.

Thanks
Mohan

Mohanbo_us (BOB member since 2008-05-06)

If the CMS tables were dropped and there is no backup then you will need to re-create the table using the CCM. Follow the installation guide for how to setup a CMS data source.

As for recovering your work, unfortunately it is gone unless you have a BIAR file that has some/all of the work. The CMS has everything about the system, security information, reports/folders and their location in the FRS, etc.

jwhite9 :us: (BOB member since 2006-07-28)

Thanks jwhite9 for your response.

Can you please let me know where can we find the BIAR file and if it is there can we recover all of the work.

Can you please let me know in detail because I am a developer and here my admin is not available and we need to get back into the normal state.
I am having the admin rights. I am not able to login in to CMS also.

Or can we create another datasource and create CMS2 and migrate all of the work from CMS1 to CMS2. Will that work.

Please advise.

Your administrator would have had to manually create a BIAR file using the Import Wizard tool, it is not something that the system does on its own.

If you do not have a database backup of the CMS database and you do not have a BIAR file backup then you have lost your system and there is no recovery at this point.

If your cms database has been deleted then I’m afraid you have a serious problem.

Your first step should be to restore the CMS database.

The second step should be to buy some fresh haddock and place it inside your DBA’s PC when he’s not looking.

cashworth (BOB member since 2005-02-09)

Don’t forget one for the previous BO admin since he did not make sure the system was recoverable. :wink:

The CMS consists of a bunch of tables starting with “CMS_”. If those are gone, and have no backup, then your XIr2 environment has ceased to be.

In 6.x, you could open .unv and .rep files in a different environment, but not in XI. It’s possible that tech support may be able to help you associate those files with your new CMS, but I’ve never heard of this being done.

And all of the other metadata (users, groups, schedules, folders), are gone.

On the bright side, you probably have some job security for a while!

Joe

joepeters :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

if you are a shop of any size DBA should have a copy of a full database backup. Your best bet is to restore the database to the latest possible backup else you have to start anew. Which may not be such a bad thing considering your shop did not follow system admin 101 till this point. This is your chance to set all that straight

sfaridi :pakistan: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

Thanks for all your Inputs

Here we are having an old test database which was used one year ago. I have tried to connect to that database and Now I am able to login into Business Objects.

Is there any way that by using Import Wizard , Can i import all the universes, reports to this test database, so that i wont loose any work.

Or I need to build it all new.

Please advise…

Import Wizard nees either a BOE environment or a biar file to import unv. if you have old unv file you can try to use that by going to designer for that you dont need import wizard.

sfaridi :pakistan: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

All of the files in the file repository server are essentially gone, unless you have a CMS database with a valid link to them.

cashworth (BOB member since 2005-02-09)

You might be able to use this method to migrate universe files from the old FRS into a new CMS.

Joe

joepeters :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)