BusinessObjects Board

Opening universes from another CMS in XI R2

Yes, the replacement trick works! I think currently this is the only way to revive those orphan unv files. Thanks for your post, Andrew!

kevinx (BOB member since 2002-08-20)

Unfortunately, it doesn’t work for linked universes - any ideas?

AndrewMBaines (BOB member since 2006-09-08)

Can you provide more details on the procedure outlined above? Thanks…

reginato :chile: (BOB member since 2003-04-24)

Hi,
Is it usefull to install BOXI R2 using the same cms’s name as the universe linked to.Though it’s not a nice thought while it maybe work if there are many universe facing the same problem.

megan :cn: (BOB member since 2006-10-27)

That would be nice, but we are way beyond that point. There is a universe that was created using a CMS that no longer exists, so we need to either find a way to open it in a new CMS or rebuild it.

I am just looking for more detail on the process quoted above. It looks like it worked for somebody. Thanks…

The CMS repository has two portions … a database and a filesystem. The database stores the security information and also has a pointer to the filesystem where the universe is actually stored. Because the security information is stored only in the database, you can substitute the physical file of a universe to which you do have access (in the new CMS) behind the scenes. Steps would be something like this:[list]- Create a new (dummy) universe and export it to the new CMS

• In the CMC, the properties for the dummy universe will tell you the location and file name
  • Take your “orphaned” universe, rename it to match the dummy universe, and replace the file at that location[/list]Now when you retrieve the dummy universe, the actual file that gets retrieved will be the formerly orphaned universe.

Note: This technique works for Desktop Intelligence (and possibly other) documents as well.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Thank you very much!!! It worked like a charm… :smiley:

Hi

I opened my Universe in 6.x and when i am trying to open the same in the XI R2 i am getting the Error message as “You are not authorized to open this Document”.

Any idea to resolve this prob…?? since i have around 20 universe with the same case.

Regards

Siva.M

looksmee :uk: (BOB member since 2006-02-08)

In 6.x, change the connection to an unsecure connection, then do a “Save As” and check the “Save for all users” box. You will then be able to open the universe in XI.

Thanks for posting this, the work around had just got me out of a real spot of bother :mrgreen:

Fiona :uk: (BOB member since 2002-12-16)

Not sure if this is related, but it sounds like its a similar issue, but for reports.

A user opens a report (held on their network drive) in desktop intelligence and exports it to the repository. They then delete the report via InfoView.

However, the report held on the network drive will not open and the error message “You are not authorised to use this document”

Can anyone explain what is happening and/or suggest how should I avoid this error?

Thanks

rob_bo :uk: (BOB member since 2005-08-04)

What is happening? Well, the security model is working :smiley: ! As far as how to avoid it, the thread has already covered it. Doing a “Save for all users” on documents works as well.

Well, the thread has kind of explained what is happening and a suggested work around for universes. But if a report is deleted from the repository, I dont believe it should affect a local copy.

I vaguely remember covering this on a CMC course i went to some time ago…maybe its time i had a refresher!! :oops:

As for “save for all users”…this doesnt solve the problem.

UPDATE: I have just spoken to the ever-helpful and all-knowledgeable Business Objects help desk who spent half an hour on webex before deciding that they dont have an answer and that we are not the first people to raise it as an issue. (Perhaps theres a CHF for it ???) :hb:

rob_bo :uk: (BOB member since 2005-08-04)

When you export a document, it becomes a “secured copy” during that process. If you want to remove the security, you have to use the “save for all users” before you delete it from the CMS. That’s the process that has been in place for quite a long time.

Not saying it is without its challenges, but the process has been consistent for many years. :slight_smile: It’s harder to recover from now as before XI we could log in as a General Supervisor and still open the report. The issue is that anyone could create a simple repository and grant themselves GS rights, and therefore open any sort of “secure” document, be it a report or a universe.

There are still loopholes (as posted in this topic) so all they have done is make it harder to recover from an accidental deletion.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

[quote=“Dwayne Hoffpauir”][quote=“reginato”]

I tried using this approach for DeskI Reports and its not working.
I am getting following error:
Import Failed. (DX0016)
[repo_proxy 28] DocumentFacade::importDocument - (Helpers::InfoStore::ObjectFileHandle::extractContent) Local file copy has failed File Repository Server Input is down.(hr=#0x80042a4a)

I am trying to load BO 6.5 report to new BO XI R2 CMS. I have replaced dummy .rep file with the original report. I am using Admin account and also used “save for all”. I have SP3 installed already.

Given all these, is there anything that I am missing our I can try? Please let me know

Thanks in advance

boarch (BOB member since 2008-04-04)

The message says the file input repository is down. Is that the case? Also, it is very important that the file name you use is EXACTLY the same.

Oh, I just noticed that you are trying to use this technique to MIGRATE documents from 6.5 to XI. I doubt that will work. The documents probably need to be in XI format first.

Okay, so how do I convert to XI format.
I received this pack of universe and reports in version 6 as part of COTS product bundle. I have successfully imported universes using same mechanics but reports are giving hard time.

Any other idea?

thanks
Gabe

boarch (BOB member since 2008-04-04)

If the documents are not stored in a repository, you can’t use the Import Wizard. You can try opening them directly in XI, which will convert them automatically when you save them. If you get a “not authorized” message when opening in XI, then you will have to open them first with a General Supervisor ID in v6 and do a Save As, and check the Save for all users box. If NONE of that works (or is not possible), then the COTS vendor (whatever that is) will have to provide you with a version of the reports that are “unsecure” (saved for all users).

If you have a lot of reports have a look at Version Manager for ebiexperts can help a lot.

whairnud :belgium: (BOB member since 2006-04-28)

Hi,
Universe got deleted from the repository in XIR2.I was able to recover the universe by following procedure.

• Create a new (dummy) universe and export it to the new CMS
  • In the CMC, the properties for the dummy universe will tell you the location and file name
  • Take your “orphaned” universe, rename it to match the dummy universe, and replace the file at that location

They are around 50 webi reports running on this universe and they were throwing following error-“Some objects are no longer available in the universe WIS00001”.

Any ideas how to fix this.

karen (BOB member since 2003-06-18)