BusinessObjects Board

Printing crystal reports is requiring admin rights on the PC

Our security team is tightening security and is removing users from being administrators on their PC. This is causing problems for users trying to print crystal reports from Business Objects. It is prompting them for admin credentials. Does anyone know how to get around this? Is there a folder on their PC I can give them access to to prevent them from getting prompted?

Depending on the version of Crystal Reports/Business Objects and how you have the printing options configured in Business Objects, there used to be ActiveX control that was used for the printing. I can’t remember if there were any other options. I’m not finding anything in our BI4.3sp2 installation that offers any configuration.

Are you getting an error from Business Objects? You could try searching the Support Site for it.

It is a Windows UAC prompt. The issue is our security team decided the users could no longer be an admin on their machines so they can’t install the active x Crystal reports print driver. In this case the local IT was able to enter their credentials to get it installed and user was able to print. Today I will contact the user to see if this solution sticks after they have logged out and log back in.

I remember having that problem in earlier versions of Business Objects. We were able to set up a Crystal Report that could be run that was somehow doing the installation. I can’t remember exactly what it was doing and we don’t have any documentation on that anymore because the issue went away as we upgraded.

It appears the user is able to print after logging out and logging back in so this may be what we have to do in the future ( have local IT admin provide credentials for the install.) Or have the user change their preferences for crystal reports printing to PDF.

1 Like