BusinessObjects Board

Performance of rfc function very slow

All,

we are extracting data using sap functions in our system.

The sap application datastore holds our imported functions (set to parallel execution)

Data is loaded afterwards into a MS SQL 2012 database.
Day after day without changing anything to it, the dataflow with the rfc function takes more and more time.
We are now at 3 hours for a poorly 66.000 records.

How can we solve this? Should we ask a abap programmer to take a look at the function in SAP itself?
Where do we have to pay special attention to when debugging the remote function?

Thanks!
function_properties.jpg
dataflow.jpg

aragornII :belgium: (BOB member since 2006-12-21)

Interesting question, but I have only a lot of counter questions…

Which BAPI? Custom or standard?

How much data in the source tables and are relevant fields indexed? Is the data increasing? Probably yes…

Alternatives:
Seems to be a hierarchy, is there not a standard hierarchy extractor for BODS that can work? Those work very fast.

What tables are accessed? Why not background jobs?

Johannes Vink :netherlands: (BOB member since 2012-03-20)

Hello Johannes,

thanks for taking the time to reply to this :slight_smile:

I think its custom, its called Z_HIER_DWH
The input parameters are

MANDANT
SETCLASS
SETNAME

The amount of data in the source tables, I am not aware of it, but since they created a custom rfc for it, I think it might be big tables :slight_smile:

About the accessed tables, I am also not aware of them.
So its difficult to decide to use the standard hierarchy extractor for it.

About background jobs, do you mean the option on datastore level (execute in background (batch) ? This parameter is set to yes or do you mean another parameter?

thanks!
function.jpg

The Z gives the hint that it is custom :wink:

To figure out the tables accessed you need to look at the ABAP code of the function. tx SE37 or tx SE80.

If the only tables accessed are SETHEADER & SETLEAF, then those are standard SAP tables. The input paramters for the custom function seem to suggest that.

If so, the standard hierarchy extractor from BODS can be used. It is quick, even with 60k records (we are talking about seconds).

The background job I meant is for a r/3 flow set to execute in the background. The setting in the datastore influences that, but does not impact the custom rfc.

Johannes Vink :netherlands: (BOB member since 2012-03-20)

I thought so :slight_smile:
To figure out the abap code, I need access to the system I am afraid

Keep you posted, tomorrow I will have a look with the project manager to see what we can change about the function.

Thanks already

Edit: apparantly something went wrong when I imported the template tables (for 1 table I forgot to check the delete data before loading) so each time he was sending more and more info through the rfc function)

My bad :oops: