BusinessObjects Board

PDF Report formatting

Hi All

I created a report in Business Objects. I do save as and save it as a PDF file. When I go and click on the report in windows explorer the way it always opens up the report is with the initial view defaulting to bookmarks and page. I want the report to default to page only. Does anyone how how to do this? :smiley:

Thanks
Lori

bachman :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-24)

Hi, Lori! :slight_smile:

I think this is an Acrobat option, not a BO one. If you have Adobe Acrobat, go under file to document properties and then open options. You can select page only for initial view. Save the document and you’re all set!

As far as how to do this in BO, I don’t think you can. :frowning:

Good luck! :slight_smile:

JennFisher :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

I have gone into Adobe and changed the options there. It works fine as long as I save the report but all new reports will have the booksmarks there. We are going to be e-mailing these reports to a client and do not want to have to re-save every report before they are sent. I should not have to re-save the reprots. I thought it might be a BO option because when I save a report from Oracle reports I do not have to re-save the report to have the bookmarks not appear.

Thanks
Lori

This is something I’ve been interested in as well. Unfortunately, I’ve also never found a way to turn off the navigation pane by default. I suggest you put this info in our Wish List thread. It is a popular question! :yesnod:

Cindy Clayton :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-11)

I posted the answer of how to do this here!

Eileen King :us: (BOB member since 2002-07-10)

:blue: Ooooo. Eileen. I missed that one! Cool!! I’ll try it out in my play repository.

Cindy Clayton :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-11)

Eileen - I have been researching your solution and unfortunately we are not able to do that. We can’t go to everyone’s machine and update their registry. Too many users. Since it seems this is something BO is forcing the PDF to do is there something in the database that I can change to stop this from happening?

Thanks
Lori

Lori,

It isn’t even something we’ve implemented. I just remembered finding it when I was working with the PDF files. Sorry…I don’t have anything more I can tell you about it. :roll_eyes:

Eileen King :us: (BOB member since 2002-07-10)

ok, just thought I would check before I called support.

Have you looked at the possiblity of exporting the relevant registry key and having it sent out automatically to your users - you know Tivoli or SMS something like that. Would it be possible to send out via email, explain why you are sending it then tell them just to double click the attachment?

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

We have found a temporary work around for this problem without changing the registry. If anyone is interested let me know and I will post it.

We’re always interested - if you’ve got the problem now someone else is bound to encounter it… :wink:

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

We have found a tool that converts pdf documents with bookmarks into documents without bookmarks.
It can be done at the command line on Win2k/NT so it can be scheduled.
Here is the web site :
http://www.acrobotics.net/

I found them at : http://www.pdfstore.com/details.asp?prodid=576 and they are priced at $95.

We asked for a trial copy of the software to make sure it would work for us. We have tested the software and are in the process of ordering the software.

Thanks
Lori

Does this also work for PDF documents viewed in WebIntelligence?

And why does the Knowledge Base entry describe this as a change to the BO repository?

Thanks

Rana Kassel (BOB member since 2002-06-21)

I think that is just standard for the Knowledge Base. There is only the change to the registy.

Thanks
Lori

Here’s the work around for WebIntelligence, without changing the registry.

I opened the intended report in Business Objects reporter. I saved the report to PDF using Business Objects. I opened the new PDF report using Acrobat 5.0. I changed the properties (Document Properties --> Open Options) of the document to “Page Only”. I then uploaded the document to the repository as any other agnostic document. The document now opens with NO bookmarks visible. All links and functionalities appear just as before.