BusinessObjects Board

PDF Generation

If this is in the wrong forum, I apoligize.

Does anybody know of any code for taking a Business Objects reports, converting it to a PDF and than combining PDFs? I want to do this after the report is run, but we do not have Publisher, and I was told the next best bet is to put some code into the actual Business Objects report.

Any one done this before?

Any one have any other ideas on how to do this without publisher?

thanks

khansen97 (BOB member since 2003-12-05)

I imagine it’s possible to do it with code, but it would have to be full-blown Adobe Acrobat or other tool. Business Objects itself doesn’t provide that functionality … manually or via SDK … to combine pdfs after the fact.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

One of our VB guys told me that Adobe don’t expose much in their object model. He was able to do very little with it, via VB. I suppose Adobe must have their own development kit.

Or is another option just to build a new report with all the tabs within in?

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

There are some tools you can use to merge pdf’s. Even some which can be started by a dos-command line so you should be able to implement this in your vb-code if you want to have this automated.

Try http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk/ for example.

jobjoris :netherlands: (BOB member since 2004-06-30)

in BO i think it not possible, in webintelligence u can open the document in PDF format and it can be stored in same format

guru :confused:

gurumurthy :uk: (BOB member since 2004-12-10)

Ahhh … I’ve not worked with the Adobe object model, so that could very well be the case.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

To generate pdfs from reports… piece of cake…

To combine the PDF’s … i dunno if this is possible.

Suggestion : Create a new report in BO (having all the information that you would need in a PDF) and then save it in PDF format.

Thanks,
Sathish

Sathishraok :india: (BOB member since 2004-12-10)

Converting BO reps to pdfs could be done. Check this link

Am not sure how to combine the pdfs.

Hamsa (BOB member since 2004-11-12)

I think that would be one massive…messed up file! How many reports are we talking about here? If there are not too many of em, you can have summary report with all these reports on seperate tabs and then you can save as pdf.

Bharat :india: (BOB member since 2004-05-03)

There are 42 reports.

The main issue is that they need to be printed every day, and to have to have to have someone go into 42 reports to click print is too much. I can’t combine them anymore. I started with 105 reports and I have it down to 42, but I am as low as I can go without causing the Database to kick my processes back to me.

Are you scheduling in BCA? If so, why don’t you send it to the printer from there? It is part of the basic functionality.

maverick976 :us: (BOB member since 2004-07-06)

Write a VBA code to save all these 42 files in a folder as pdf files. Then, I wonder if a batch process can be run to print everything in a folder :hb:

Bharat :india: (BOB member since 2004-05-03)

There are major problems with generating PDF from versions 5.1.4-through 5.1.8. This is a result of changes that were made to the calculation engine. It is best to avoid pdf generation if possible. If you are only saving as pdf, so your users can print them I would just send the report directly to a printer and distribute them accordingly. You can also send them directly to the user’s printer if your network allows.

maverick976 :us: (BOB member since 2004-07-06)

We generate thousands of PDFs everyday using 5.1.6 and 5.1.7 via BCA. It works like a dream even for some painfully complicated reports. What sort of problems have you had?

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

We are using version 6.5

The process I have in place at the moment is to run the reports in BCA and save them as PDFs out to a file share.

From there, I was hoping to have the last report have a macro in it that would save it as a PDF, and than combine the PDFs.

Bharat gave me exactly the solution I would like to do, however I don’t know of any code to do this. Do you happen to have some? Or know of a place I could get it?

thanks!

I repeat:

jobjoris :netherlands: (BOB member since 2004-06-30)