BusinessObjects Board

passing multiple values for dynamic recipient publication

can a dynamic recipient crystal report be used to pass parameter response to publication source documents with multiple values? For example - my source report has a parameter for location setup to accept multiple values. Dynamic recipient #1 requires location in (VA,NC). I’ve tied passing this with comma and semi-colon with no luck.

Do I have to reprogram the source to parse out the comma seperated string? Seems like this should be out-of-the-box functionality, but it isn’t documented and most older posts I find say the only way is the reprogramming route.

:hb:

trwaves :us: (BOB member since 2006-10-10)

Hi, do you have any luck on this?
Or do anyone know how to do this please.
I really want to know as parsing the comma seperated will cause client side filter and thus degrade performance.

goodpatrick (BOB member since 2014-02-26)

Unfortunately, I have not found a viable way to meet this requirement without parsing the array in the source report. I’ve tried using both Crystal and Webi with no luck.

Yes it can be easily done however you might have to create separate row for each location. You can accomplish this using Dynamic Recipient Publication.
How are you trying to deliver the reports? Email, ftp or file system?

Regards,
KW

KW9221 (BOB member since 2013-03-28)

I thnk you may be missing the nature of the business requirement. We are already using dynamic recipients to send the publication to various users. Thast is wokring well. The issue is that one of the source documents (a crystal report) has a parameter that accepts multiple values. For example - State in (‘VA’,‘NC’). The publication dynamic recipient control report that is used to pass responses to these parameters doesn’t allow the passing of these multi-values. They only allow the passing of discrete values. In my example above, the report pulls zero records becuse it is looking for the STATE column in the table to have a value of “VA, NC” rather than looking for both “VA” and “NC” seperately.

@trwaves
the way I would do this is create multiple rows for recipients.

State Email User
VA abc@gmail.com ABC
NC abc@gmail.com ABC

this will create 2 separate reports but you can merge them during delivery or merging pdf option.

Hope it works for you.

Regards,
KW

KW9221 (BOB member since 2013-03-28)

Unfortunately, the business requirement is for them to be combined into a single number. For example VA = 100, NC = 50. The single report would need to say total 150. I don’t need two reports or two pages (one with 100 and one with 50).

Obviously, I could combine these into a summary table, but these are working from a legacy reporting suite of dozens of individual crystal reports that have been in place for 10+ years. Making a data model change at this moment isn’t feasible from a resourcing perspective.

I am surprised that ; or , did not work. What kind of report do you use Crystal or webi?
If you run the report and select VN and NC how does it show up in the prompt?
And I presume your prompt can have multiple values

Swimmer :netherlands: (BOB member since 2006-08-23)

yes, we tried both semi-colon and comma as seperators. The target Crystal Reports have paramters that are congfigured to accept multi-value prompts. During our research, the dynamic recipient control report is passing this as a single value I.e - ‘VA;NC’ or ‘VA,NC’ rather than sending an array (‘VA’;‘NC’) or (‘VA’,‘NC’).

Did you resolve this issue? I have similar req that i need to pass multiple value (from webi control report) to crystal report. Thanks!

moons :us: (BOB member since 2007-11-08)