BusinessObjects Board

Out of Memory - Error

In CE 9 - we have been running this report for almost five years and the data was varying from 2 Million to 12 Million rows and we never had a problem. Recently we started getting Out of Memory error. so we made couple of changes to report Like Suppressing sub-reports, deleting page numbers, increasing the virtual memory, disk space etc. Even then we were still facing the same problem. This reports runs for about 1 to 2 hrs.
Can anyone assist me on fixing this problem.

Thanks,
Bvcreddy

a1b2c3 :us: (BOB member since 2008-06-15)

Crystal has always been RAM intensive. If the computer on which you are running the machine is low on RAM and does not have enough available hard drive space, you will run out of memory.

You might also compare the Select Expert settings to the SQL Query that Crystal generates from it to see if all of your selections are being translated by Crystal into a WHERE clause. If any of them are missing, this means that the local machine is doing all the hard work instead of the server.

Chamsin :us: (BOB member since 2008-06-05)

did you have this all of a sudden with 1 report, or with all your reports ? We bumped into a similar situation on CR XI

sdiericx (BOB member since 2009-09-29)

One easy thing to do is do a search for ~*.rpt on the machine where this report is running. This is the file name format for the temp files that Crystal creates. Delete all of them that have a date earlier than the current date. Crystal is not very good at cleaning up after itself when a report fails - it leaves a temp file that might be quite large. This will eat up the disk space on the drive until you don’t have enough space left to run a large report. (Crystal does a LOT of swapping to disk, especially on large reports.)

-Dell

hilfy :us: (BOB member since 2007-04-16)

Hey Dell, I had already cleaned up some temp .rpt files. There were not thàt many though, just a handful under \BusinessObjects Enterprise 11.5\Data\procSched.

I have the impression it’s not so much about running out of space, but rather running out of memory. Do not see how I could you a .close or .dispose method to free up resources after each run. Where can this be specified , any hint ? :?: :idea:

sdiericx (BOB member since 2009-09-29)

I’m not as familiar with CE 9 as I am with the BOE and Crystal Server products. Are you either rebooting your server or stopping the CE services and restarting them on a regular basis? If there’s a memory leak somewhere, this should help clear the memory that’s being used.

Also, my experience has been that frequently an Out of Memory error in Crystal is actually due to disk space issues. Crystal does a lot of its own disk swapping instead of/in addition to using Virtual Memory. So you do need to look at how much free space is available on the C: drive of the server to see if that might be affecting your reports.

-Dell

hilfy :us: (BOB member since 2007-04-16)