BusinessObjects Board

ORA-03106: fatal two-task communication protocol error

Hi,

I’m working with Business Objects 5.1.5 and trying to connect to several Oracle 9i databases. The development database is version 9.2.0.4 whilst the production is 9.2.0.6.

I can connect to both databases using SQL Plus and I can connect to the development database through BO. However, when I create a connection for production, I receive the following error message:

ORA-03106: fatal two-task communication protocol error

BusinessObjects configuration:
Network Layer: Oracle OCI
DBMS Engine: Oracle 9
DLL: C:\Program Files\Business Objects\Data Access 5.0\SQBOCI50.DLL
SBO: C:\Program Files\Business Objects\Data Access 5.0\Oracle\Oracle
PRM: C:\Program Files\Business Objects\Data Access 5.0\Oracle\ora7
RSS: C:\Program Files\Business Objects\Data Access 5.0\Oracle\oracle

I looked at a similar posts and tried the suggestions contained within these posts:

Unfortunately, I’m still experiencing the same problem :frowning: . Any ideas?

Thank you

maccers :uk: (BOB member since 2005-06-17)

R,

Have you had a look at this?
https://bobj-board.org/t/23379
It is worth checking with the DBAs if the ORACLE drivers are setup correctly.

Does your underlying table include CLOBs?
http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=967090&page=9

Could that be part of the problem?

Is there anything special about the column that is supporting the object? I can’t get login to see the email you sent me.
https://bobj-board.org/t/23379

SQL*Plus is deceptive as it doesn’t use all the same parts of the stack that BO uses. Try using Toad instead. That is a better indicator of any problems with the Oracle configuration.

Best Regards,
M

robbinma4 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-07-31)

Hi M,

I did and revisited the link shortly after posting this note. I think my connection problem is potentially related to the NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET parameter, so I’ll explain at the bottom of this response.

Checked with the DBA and he said no.

I don’t think this is applicable and don’t worry about the e-mail as all is contained within.

Works on both TOAD and SQL*PLUS.

So getting back to the possible problem, one difference between standard Oracle builds within the company and this problem database (production)is the NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET parameter setting.

I can connect to Oracle databases where the parameter is AL16UTF16 but not when set to UTF8 (production).

My guess is that 5.1.5 isn’t compatible when the NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET parameter is set to UTF8 (unicode)? I’ve asked that this parameter be changed to AL16UTF16, so I’m just waiting on a response.

Thanks M, I’ll get back to you once I hear more…

Best Regards,
R

M,

Found the solution:-

5.1.5 isn’t compatible when the Oracle NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET parameter is set to UTF8 (unicode). The Oracle DBA changed the parameter to AL16UTF16 and the connection now works.

R