BusinessObjects Board

Optional Prompts - Universe level

Hi,

I am using 3.1 version of Business Objects.
A new feature allows you to create optional prompts at reporting level.
However I am really struggling to create optional prompts at Universe level for example the syntax at reporting level uses

@prompt('Enter value(s) for Fac Account:','A','Financial Account\Fac Account',Multi,Free,Not_Persistent,,User:0,optional)

however when trying to create the same in the universe it errors.
Can anyone help with this, it will be greatly appreciated

:hb:

wlloyd (BOB member since 2008-10-14)

Did you mean to have a functionality for selecting some ‘Fac Account’ or ‘all’ (All will work as optional)

then try searching in the forums for Prompt with all values…surely you will find it.
Like one is here

Thanks,

Rana :india: (BOB member since 2008-07-08)

You can set the prompt an optional one in the query. Did you try it?

I believe, with XI 3.x a report writer can create optional prompts now, but not in designer.

Jansi :india: (BOB member since 2008-05-12)

Its true what Jansi said, optional prompts feature exists only in webI query panel only while creating prompts and cannot be implemented in a universe

haider :es: (BOB member since 2005-07-18)

Hi,
Thanks for the responses…

I have this working at report level, however i wanted this to be an universal prompt as we need this prompt for many reports.

Looks like i will have to settle for the first suggestion using “ALL”.

Just seems daft giving you the function at report level and not universe

:nonod:

That’s true. But we should be happy that at least we have that option at report level. :slight_smile:

Did you know you can attach conditions to classes now? I have duplicated classes and shown the relevant restricted class to a group of users…

jemstar :ireland: (BOB member since 2006-03-30)

How is attaching classes going to help me with optional prompts at universe level,
Not sure what you are getting at Please explain?

It may not be ideal, but have one class with prompts attached and a duplicated class without the prompts attached. With security you can show and hide the appropriate classes from various user groups…

A little imperfect I know…

jemstar :ireland: (BOB member since 2006-03-30)

Hi,

Please check the following link if that suits your needs for optional parameters.

Regards
Sandeep :wave:

sandeep.manocha :us: (BOB member since 2009-06-17)

The same thing (if in shortened form) is in the Designer FAQ:

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Hi Dave,

I have studied and tried that exercise which you have mentioned. In that excersie I am being able to see the cascading prompts, but data is not filtered as per the values i selected. Report filters the data based on only last parameter, apper like only lsat parameter is being part of SQL generated.

How I can achieve and put all the prompt values in where caluse of SQL or you can say How can I achieve the results based on my selection.

Thanks
Sandeep Manocha (New to Business Objects) :crazy_face:

That is how it works, unfortunately: A cascading prompt will not translate into a cascading condition.
Your last value selected in the cascading prompt will have to be globally unique (think: primary key). For example the final selection of “Rome” as a city will not work, as there are many cities by the name of Rome worldwide.

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

As Andreas says, that’s the way it works. The “cascade” function conditions are only applied to the list of values selections, they do not appear in the final SQL. If you do not have a unique value as a final selection (as Andreas mentioned, “Rome” as a city is hardly unique) then you will not get the query results you desire.

One alternative that I have used is to concatenate the selections through the cascade. So my initial selection would be Country, followed by Country + State, and finally Country + State + City. In that way the selection becomes USA + Texas + Rome or Italy + Central Italy + Rome which would be unique.

Thanks Andreas/Dave,

Please advise how to implement this, is this should be at database level or do need to concatinate at BO level. How to concatenate the user entered prompt values ?

Thanks
Sandeep :o

You make the objects in the universe, and build your cascading LOV off of the concatenated objects. I covered how to do this - including how to get “ALL” as an option - in the “Ninja” series of presentations that I did at a conference several years back. I don’t remember if it was Part 1 or Part 2 but both are available from my blog, which is linked in my signature.

Hi, everybody.
Do you have any news about this feature (optional prompt into universe)?

count (BOB member since 2009-06-04)

This is not yet available in the universe yet. But you can always select ‘ALL’ in the prompt if you want to make it optional.

P.S: Welcome to B:bob:B!