BusinessObjects Board

Object Description Formatting

Is it possible to do any formatting of object descriptions? I can force blank lines within a description in designer, but they seem to get lost when viewing the descriptions in webi (via the mouse-over hovering over objects in the data pane).

The next question is whether there’s any way the users can see the object descriptions when viewing a report. I know there have been past threads discussing this topic, but if anyone has found a way to do it (ie. export universe to Excel, load objects and descriptions to a table, add a page to the report showing all objects and descriptions), please let me know.

Thanks.

BOB_Rocks (BOB member since 2008-12-17)

No way that I know of to format descriptions - or make them easier to view in webi!

You could try the excellent documentation utility here:

and then use the relevant excel tab that holds the descriptions?

Debbie

Debbie :uk: (BOB member since 2005-03-01)

I haven’t tried this…but those tooltips are basically just html. You might try putting a
in the description and see what happens. Of course, that might make it look funny in other places.

ajunell :us: (BOB member since 2004-05-03)

Thanks for the comments.

1. The embedded html tag
    works!!! I was able to get line breaks mid-description. I intend to try a few more tags (bold, underline, etc). Unfortunately, the tooltip has a fixed width, and is only visible for a few seconds. I suppose that’s a feature of IE.

2. I am a big fan of the Document-a-universe utility (big Thanks to the author). I downloaded and tweaked it a while back to allow updates to be pushed back to the universe. Update object names and descriptions in Excel, as well as HasLOV, CanBeUsedResult, CanBeUsedCondition, CanBeUsedSort. Then a macro pushes those changes to the Universe. I have to test that the
    is retained from Excel to Designer to Enterprise.

BOB_Rocks (BOB member since 2008-12-17)

I know this is a fairly old post, but I can’t find a more current thread on this subject.

I have been experimenting with using HTML tags (
, , and even tables!) for our object descriptions to make them more readable and user friendly and it works great within Rich Client (throughout) and Java (throughout). Unfortunately there is one exception where the HTML tags are ignored in the tooltip popup for the HTML viewer. This is very unfortunate as it is the one place most of our user base will be exposed to the Object Descriptions.

In the Interactive HTML Viewer the tooltip popup will process the tags fine in the Query Panel and descriptions display fine Data Summary panel, even when too large and you click the more hyperlink. However, the tooltip popup available when hovering over the objects under Available Objects seems to work differently from everywhere else and the HTML tags are not processed. This is really annoying as I thought we had a neat solution that would have made the object descriptions really user friendly and readable throughout!

I can at least leave the html tags in for classes as the tooltip pop-ups for classes only appear in the Query Panel and things work fine there, so that is at least something.

Anyone else tried this? It would be really great if it just worked everywhere. Maybe there is some hot-fix out there to fix it is the one place (that I have identified) where it doesnÂ’t work.

BOXI 3.1 SP2

Daniel Williams :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-19)

Bob_rocks, do you have macro to upload / write back for canbeusedsort? anyway you can share it with us?

Bo_Bhai :us: (BOB member since 2003-07-11)

Hello BOB_Rocks,

Can you please share your macro?

Thank you

RCH (BOB member since 2004-11-11)