BusinessObjects Board

New forum folders for BI 4.x versions of various products?

Hi BOB, :mrgreen:

Do you plan on adding separate folders for BI 4.x under the various categories? For example, I have some questions about Webi under BI 4.1 but the latest version with its own folder is Webi XI.

Cheers,
~Steve

Steve Aultman (BOB member since 2003-07-22)

No, we’re going to implement version “topic tags” instead. If you look at the user group forum, you’ll see that we (some time back) collapsed all of the user groups into a single forum, but posters are allowed to select a version or “topic tag” as they start a topic. We’ll be implementing that for all forums, and using various versions to tag the topic.

There is a filter at the bottom of the forum that lets you select only a particular tag.

Moving this to the About BOB forum for further discussion, thanks.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

thanks Dave! I’ll check it out.

Steve Aultman (BOB member since 2003-07-22)

Here’s a question: if we’re going to switch to topic tags for denoting which version of the product we’re talking about, then the version tag is going to have to become a mandatory field as part of the posting process. Does anyone anticipate any issues with that?

We have had tags in several forums for quite a while now, and people are not using them, either because they (a) don’t know about them or (b) don’t know what version they have. I am inclined to believe the former, as most folks should know what version (major version, not talking about patch releases here) they have.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

I would be fine with that, assuming there would be a “Not Applicable” tag.

joepeters :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

I agree with Joe.

I was always amazed, when teaching Webi classes, how many people attending didn’t know what version they had at work. I’d hate for them to be discouraged from posting, simply because they don’t know. So, “Not Applicable”, and perhaps “Unknown” should be included.

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)